Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Killing Tips

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yeah, well so is watching trophy velvet bucks in July....but I sure as heck don't sit in my treestand while looking at them and make grunt calls:smiley_crocodile:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Matt's last day with HS was Friday. Eddie Salter left HS back in January and is now the front man for Down-n-Dirty Outdoors. Eddie has a new show coming out soon on the Sportsman Channel called "Turkey Man." Both guys will be attempting to film hunts in Athens Co this spring.

Are any guest appearances in the works for the Rex clan?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Here's another peice of advice for stubborn henned up Gobblers. Most times i dont dare attempt to try calling to Gobblers in the morning. Why? More and likely they are roosting with their hens....They gobble on the roost fly downand hook up with their hens and immediately shut up....Its the same crap ive been dealing with for 30 years. So..If frustration is what you want then id suggest trying to call him away from his hens...If success is what you want....Then id suggest waiting and sitting patiently...Let him become bored or frusated by the hens he's with..Like any male..he will become bored and will eventually become easier to call in. My hunt usually doesnt start until about 9am or 10am. What im looking for is a bored Gobbler that may e separated from his Hen. The separation may only be 100 yards..but at some time during the course of the morning they will separate becaue of either boredom, nesting, feeding etc. Thats when he's vulnerable.

Now..lets say the bastard never separates from his hen....Here;s what i do..I spook em...run right at em..make em fly all over the place...ill either do this in the morning once they pitch down or ill spook em and get them separated the night before. Give em a hour or so and he will start wanting his Hens back and thats when the Gobbling begins and thats when i get em.

However its done..naturally or unnaturally. Get em when they are separated.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Here's another peice of advice for stubborn henned up Gobblers. Most times i dont dare attempt to try calling to Gobblers in the morning. Why? More and likely they are roosting with their hens....They gobble on the roost fly downand hook up with their hens and immediately shut up....Its the same crap ive been dealing with for 30 years. So..If frustration is what you want then id suggest trying to call him away from his hens...If success is what you want....Then id suggest waiting and sitting patiently...Let him become bored or frusated by the hens he's with..Like any male..he will become bored and will eventually become easier to call in. My hunt usually doesnt start until about 9am or 10am. What im looking for is a bored Gobbler that may e separated from his Hen. The separation may only be 100 yards..but at some time during the course of the morning they will separate becaue of either boredom, nesting, feeding etc. Thats when he's vulnerable.

Now..lets say the bastard never separates from his hen....Here;s what i do..I spook em...run right at em..make em fly all over the place...ill either do this in the morning once they pitch down or ill spook em and get them separated the night before. Give em a hour or so and he will start wanting his Hens back and thats when the Gobbling begins and thats when i get em.

However its done..naturally or unnaturally. Get em when they are separated.

Very good advice!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Thanks...it always seems like a lost cause when I try and call em in right off the roost in the morning. I usually end up frustrated and feeling Like a looser. :)

mrex

*Supporting member*
Here's another tip...gobbler decoys. Most gobbler decoys are a pain in the ass to carry in the field, however, they are more effective than a hen decoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex4E...DvjVQa1PpcFMU5I4FONG3Mh0-O90F1VqOe05UQS9Jyjk=

Also, positioning of a hen decoy is critical. A hen is most alluring when she squats for a gobbler. She can't be seen from a very far distance in most settings, but once they spot her it's game over.

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Here's one tip the ole timer told me about. When you see the Gobbler flick his wing, its time to shoot...He;s nervous and is getting ready to leave the party.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Loved that clip Mike! Sounded like you were trying not to laugh when the hen was jumped on.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Here's another tip...gobbler decoys. Most gobbler decoys are a pain in the ass to carry in the field, however, they are more effective than a hen decoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex4E...DvjVQa1PpcFMU5I4FONG3Mh0-O90F1VqOe05UQS9Jyjk=

Also, positioning of a hen decoy is critical. A hen is most alluring when she squats for a gobbler. She can't be seen from a very far distance in most settings, but once they spot her it's game over.

Have you guys ever used a Montana decoy? I have one and have killed several mature Toms by using it. It is perfect in the aspect of being light and portable, while looking very realistic. It is only 2 dimensional, but it works! It folds up and only weighs a few ounces and looks the same on both sides.

I set this up on a gas line in the woods a couple years ago within a couple hundred yards of a roosted tom with several hens. It pulled him away from his hens right after flydown and he came in on a string.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yes, you just hold it in each hand and twist in opposite directions and it folds up into about a 10" piece. It comes with a metal stake that breaks down into 2 pieces and that anchors it to the ground. I would highly recommend it.