Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Venison Meatloaf

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are butt load of meatloaf recipes out there and IMO it's really hard to go wrong with any variety of meatloaf, but below is my main go-to recipe. I made it last night and man is it good! Meatloaf is one of my favorites!

In a large bowl, whisk together the following ingredients:
1/2 cup Ketchup
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp soy sauce (or Worcestershire)
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 - 1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp garlic pepper seasoning

Once that's done, mix in 2 pounds of lean ground venison, 1/2 of a large white onion (chopped), and a half-sleeve to full-sleeve of Ritz crackers (crushed fine). Mix well.

Take meat mixture and form a loaf in a 8x12 casserole dish (or 2 meatloaf pans). Make a foil tent over top and poke some holes in it. Preheat oven to 350-375 and cook for about 1 hour 10 minutes. Pull from oven (it should be around 150 degrees at this point) and with a mixture of 1/2 cup Ketchup and 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar. Return to oven and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes. I sometimes turn on the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up that ketchup mixture on top. Enjoy!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jim, ours is close too your recipe except we use knors onion soup mix instead of the onion itself..... I use it also in just making hamburgers.... Adds a lot of flavor into it..... Give it a try and let me know what you think..... We've also used their vegetable soup mix in it as well, you just have too remove the carrots lol..... But I personally like the onion soup mix better........

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My wife is no cook. However she got a spur in her ass a while back to make a meat loaf. Her recipe is almost the same, but she uses Cheez-Its and adds some mustard to her glaze. For a woman that can't cook, her meatloaf is the shit! She made it Friday night (2 lbs) and I ate half of it! lmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My wife is no cook. However she got a spur in her ass a while back to make a meat loaf. Her recipe is almost the same, but she uses Cheez-Its and adds some mustard to her glaze. For a woman that can't cook, her meatloaf is the shit! She made it Friday night (2 lbs) and I ate half of it! lmao

Meat loaf is friggin addicting.... I eat way too much of it when I start I don't stop until I'm ready too puke lol....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim, ours is close too your recipe except we use knors onion soup mix instead of the onion itself..... I use it also in just making hamburgers.... Adds a lot of flavor into it..... Give it a try and let me know what you think..... We've also used their vegetable soup mix in it as well, you just have too remove the carrots lol..... But I personally like the onion soup mix better........
Oh yea! Hard to go wrong with onion soup mix. I have another recipe that uses alphabet soup. Haven't tried it yet though.
Ha! I hear that. I don't think my wife even ate any yet and it's already 3/4 gone.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We were just discussing meatloaf at work yesterday, and now I see this.

It's a sign from God.

So I say unto thee; Thou shall goest and maketh thou own loaf of meat, and thou shall rejoice... For the heavenly nourishment of venison shall fill your soul to the brim.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Don't drink anymore but back in the day one of the best hangover cures was a cold meatloaf sammy first thing in the morning lol!!!