Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Venison skeptics

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I marinated 3 packs of venison chops (chunked) in my favorite marinade, Willamette Valley Mustards - Cracked pepper and garlic, and served them to the skeptics at my neighbor's 80's party last night. They were flabbergasted as to how good it was. We're talking drooling fools! "I never had venison like this before".

Jackalope, get an amazon link going because I may buy this case.
http://www.amazon.com/Willamette-Va...r_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1339339887&sr=1-3

Attachments

• 538195_10150960047319885_28200740_n.jpg
    538195_10150960047319885_28200740_n.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 194

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I tell anyone I meet that says they don't like deer, that they have never had it cooked right. If it is just a taste thing and not a "moral" thing, most of us can cook deer to the point it'll turn most folks in to fans!!!

Nice work Mike!!! :smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Most people that don't like it will not like it no matter who cooks it.... my wife is an excellent cook and makes a mean venison roast and chops.... if you don't like this your a veagan and stick too your veggies lol....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree. Especially on a good roast. You cannot tell the difference in my wife's venison roast vs beef. If anything the venison probably falls apart a little better but taste is divine. Those who "don't like it" should be blind folded and do a taste test. I bet many would find venison dishes they love but cannot get over the mental idea of eating a deer. Good for you for introducing some more people to venison Mike!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I personally think the majority of people had venison that they disliked were done at a butchers shop where they use the bone saws. I think that may be what gives off a bit of a "gamey" taste. I've had some from other people that get theirs butchered at shops and it does taste strong alot of the times. The specialty stuff like sausage and jerky are usually good but the chops and roasts always have that distinct butcher shop smell and tase IMO.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I personally think the majority of people had venison that they disliked were done at a butchers shop where they use the bone saws. I think that may be what gives off a bit of a "gamey" taste. I've had some from other people that get theirs butchered at shops and it does taste strong alot of the times. The specialty stuff like sausage and jerky are usually good but the chops and roasts always have that distinct butcher shop smell and tase IMO.

I completely agree. As long as the deer is butchered and packaged correctly, it'll taste good no matter how you cook it. Not a single deer that I've butchered myself has ever tasted "gamey." But damn near every one I've had done by a processor has tasted pretty strong.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have fed many city folk venison and most have loved it. For the last 2 years I have even given half a deer to one of my neighboring families. They knew nothing of hunting...heck, I'm not even sure they ever owned a lawn mower before moving to the 'burbs, but the really enjoy it. I will say, however, overcooked venison may as well be dog food (same goes for beef or any other meat in my book). Due to the lack of fat and marbling you have to be much more attentive to temperature and cook time.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I have fed many city folk venison and most have loved it. For the last 2 years I have even given half a deer to one of my neighboring families. They knew nothing of hunting...heck, I'm not even sure they ever owned a lawn mower before moving to the 'burbs, but the really enjoy it. I will say, however, overcooked venison may as well be dog food (same goes for beef or any other meat in my book). Due to the lack of fat and marbling you have to be much more attentive to temperature and cook time.

Couldn't agree more. If you eat your beef steak medium, you will probably like deer more medium rare. I always cook mine a little redder than I do my beef.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have always said all the gamey deer is probaly half spoiled meat.
In 1972 we had a Priest over for supper and the wife made a deer roast and pork roast together in the crockpot with onions, carrots, and potates together.
He eat 4 servings of the deer meat and asked if he could take some leftovers home. I asked him why and he goes he never had such great tasting beef before.
I told him it was deer and he goes "OH no I don't eat deer as it has a bad taste". I laughed and told he was just converted. He laughed about the conversion then asked why it tasted so good.
Frank

jeremy44230

Medina County

You are right on... I got my first 3-4 deer butchered at a shop. Never really cared for it too much, too gamey! I then started butchering my own! What a difference! Now I have got several people that said they hated venison to actually like it!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I completely agree. As long as the deer is butchered and packaged correctly, it'll taste good no matter how you cook it. Not a single deer that I've butchered myself has ever tasted "gamey." But damn near every one I've had done by a processor has tasted pretty strong.

Why do you think that is? Reason I'm asking cause I know it to be true. Every one I get done is gamey tasting, ill go an eat soemthing dale or larry had done and the steaks are amazing..

Man that marinade sounds like it's a winner! Will start looking for it!

On a side note my dad, buddy and I were talking a little while back while eating venison backstraps wrapped in bacon and marinated in Italian dressing. We all decided the reason why most in the past never cared for venison simply was because they treated the steaks like beef. They would never trim the fat or sinew off and just cook it any old way, like in a fry pan. Of course the fat (on beef) is the best part so you ate that as well. My uncle to this day still says he hates the taste of venison....even after eating well trimmed venison stew, steaks, chili, spaghetti, etc. that he absolutely loved. Think he just cannot get rid of the thought of the bad taste he got way back when........

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Why do you think that is? Reason I'm asking cause I know it to be true. Every one I get done is gamey tasting, ill go an eat soemthing dale or larry had done and the steaks are amazing..

I think there are a few reasons for it. One... Who knows how long the deer lays on the floor waiting to be processed. Two... Like Redhunter mentioned, most commercial processors use a bandsaw for cutting steaks, which results in bone fragments and fat getting worked into the meat. And Three... The commercial processors don't spend the time to properly trim the fat and silverskin from the meat. IMO, most of the "gamey" flavor comes from the fat. When I butcher my own deer, I trim every bit of fat that I possibly can. It may take me a little bit longer, and I may waste a little bit more meat, but IMO it is definitely worth it. I've not processed a single deer that resulted in anyone not liking the flavor of the meat. My wife is an extremely picky eater, and even she enjoys eating deer meat.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I agree with JB, if they aren't meticulous on getting that fat and silver skin off, it will taste pretty nasty. I've even had jerky turn out nasty if it had hunks of fat in it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys, I have done one before, but this year I am going to try to do it all myself.

You won't regret it, Wayne. And like everything else, the more you do, the easier and the faster it gets. To make things easier on yourself, make sure you have a good couple of knives, a sharpener, some plastic meat tubs, and a gambrel. Believe it or not, a Rapala filet knife is one of my favorite deer butchering knives.