Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Very Frustrating...

As we were pouring through our latest trail camera pull we ran across a sequence of pics that just add to my frustrations. It seems my uncle had given a guy that fishes there at his place permission to turkey hunt some. Supposedly he was instructed to stay on the portion of land my uncle still owns and not the section we bought from him. Well, apparently he didn't get the memo when it came to staying on the part he was supposed to be on. Of course it must have been just a misunderstanding. In years past under the LC he wasn't supposed to be giving permission to others to hunt period but for a while he still did. We have had many conversations over the years about it and I had thought we came to an understanding. Oh well, at least it was just during turkey season....right?!

Attachments

• PICT0145.jpg
    PICT0145.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 354
  • PICT0146.jpg
    PICT0146.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 386
  • PICT0147.jpg
    PICT0147.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
yeah that's rough, but at least he didn't steal it! On the other hand based off that first pick you may have a bigger issue. could this be breaking news of squatches in ohio

Last edited:
If he saw the camera and he knew he was where he shouldn't be he may stay away. Trespassers can be a real hassle. I've seen one person walk through my property during deer gun season. I approached him and told him he was on private property. I explained that I was the owner and allowed only family to hunt my property. I didn't read him the riot act and he apologized for being there. Living a good distance from my hunting property makes me think different than I would if I lived there. I don't want to make enemies that can cause me real headaches.

That's kind of where I am with it as well Dick. I'm in the same situation being 6 1/2 hours away and my dad on the N end of the property he doesn't always see who comes and goes. My uncle and his care giver both figure the guy must have thought that end was still part of his place, even though they told him to stay S of the barns (which are part of my property) which keeps him in one field only, well over 500 yards from where he ended up. After talking with them about it I decided to not make a big deal of it. He used to let neighbors hunt there over the years, as it's just the neighborly thing to do, and it's been growing pains to slowly get it to stop. I can understand my uncle wanting to help the fellow man out because (as he has said) he may need their help one day too. But at the same time I worry that he's forgotten (at times) that he sold it and our agreement was that we decided who hunted/recreated on it.

Yes Chuck, its one of the things we have to deal with not living on a property we own. Your situation is a little tougher than mine. I understand your uncle wanting to keep good neighborly conditions. And though that may cause some discontent for you at times, it is probably best in the long run. If the guy hunted day in and day out it would be a different story IMO. As is I'd let it ride or handle it gentlemanly.

I know the man that lives next door to my cabin is my biggest ally. He watches my place as if it was his. And he as a reputation as someone you don't want to aggravate. He grew up in the area and is well known.

I completely agree Dick, neighbors can be the best watch dogs especially in our situation. We have one neighbor that lives to the West and his property abuts ours. He has always helped my uncle out over the years, many times as his health is getting worse and before my aunt passed last year. He is a great guy and often walks the property and coon hunts which I allow simply because it's the right thing to do. A couple years ago he happened to be taking one of those walks as I was sitting in my treestand with a buck decoy out in front of me. He couldn't figure out why that deer wouldn't run off and looking back it was pretty funny to see his reaction. At the time though I was pretty pissed off but after my temper cooled down I realized he had no idea that I was even down there that week. Since then we talked about it and he told me how bad he felt that he messed me up and said he wouldn't walk the property much once deer season was in, not at all in November and to just call to let him know if we are down any other time of the year to hunt.

Great example. I had a similar incident while hunting in late January. The neighbor come through my creek bottom on his ATV. I was sitting in a box stand and walked out as he approached. It was about 10 degrees out and he figured I wouldn't be hunting in that kind of weather. He felt bad about it, but I told him it was not a big deal. A small price to pay for the piece of mind he gives me knowing he keeps an eye on everything.