Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Waders: What's your brand?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When I first got in to waterfowling, I got a good deal on a pair of Cabeals SuperMad waders and they've served me well. After 6 seasons of heavy wear and being 40 pounds lighter, they're good and worn out. I'd like to keep them for trapping, but would like to upgrade to new waders for my waterfowl hunting. I love the looks of the new Banded Redzone and Drake MST Equaders. I welcome any recommendations you all may have.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have had the cabelas supermags and I loved them. I got 8 solid duck seasons out of them. I now own about 3 pairs of the Drake Eqwader 3.0s and they are great. They come up high on me, up to my armpits, which I really like because I have more freeboard in deep water. They are rugged and very warm. An excellent late season wader. That being said, my Cabela's dry plus breathable waders see the most action. I wear them catching frogs in the summer and for at least the first half of duck season. They can also be worn when it's cold if you layer properly. I love them because they allow for much greater mobility. You could run a 5k in them... Literally.

So basically, I love them both. The one thing about the cabelas brand is the lifetime quality warranty. That's a major plus. My breathable waders will be going back for replacement because this pair, after only one year, are dry rotted big time around the boots.

If I HAD to choose one, it would be breathable waders of some kind. That may or may not suit your specific needs. I wear mine a lot when it's relatively warm.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm tried of being soaking wet because my neoprene waders make we sweat like a sum bitch. Mine are great if you don't wear them while you're getting set up, but you'll be drenched trying to break ice or drag a few hundred yards across a field. The breathable ones definitely have my attention.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm tried of being soaking wet because my neoprene waders make we sweat like a sum bitch. Mine are great if you don't wear them while you're getting set up, but you'll be drenched trying to break ice or drag a few hundred yards across a field. The breathable ones definitely have my attention.
If sweating is your issue, definitely go with breathables. They won't be as durable as neoprenes though when it comes to ice breaking. Just gotta pick your battles.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I really like the Cabela's breathable . Cabela's has a great return/ exchange policy for one. And the spots I hunt are normally a pretty far walk . The breathable waders are so much easier to walk in. When it's cold I wear a pair of under armor cold gear bottoms and a pair of fleece wader pants and am fine .

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I have been using the Lacrosse Super Brush Tuff waders for a few years now for spring walleye fishing. They are a 5 mill and 1200 gram insulate wader, so long walks equal ball soup. They do keep me warm in the frigid water and they also have reinforced knees that help with defending punctures from rocks and debris. I have been eyeballing breathable waders for late season to pair up with my early season Lacrosse's.

OO2

In the Uplands
Anyone have any good recommendations for a less expensive pair of hip waders/chest waders? Primary purpose would be setting traps in ponds/creeks or maybe walking through a deeper body of water to get to a stand

Qback5

My cabelas neoprene had several holes throughout this year, and after patching for several years I got new Rogers Breathables...the 3-in-1 kind. They are so much more comfortable and I guess I like the liner system (not really sure yet). I would recommend breathables.

loose_is_fast

McClure
I wear Roger's toughman elite 5mm. 1 year no questions warranted. They are soft and move with you. Much more flexible than my lacrosse and very warm. I wear them waterfowling and maumee river walleye run with no issues.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Not impressed w lacrosse waders. Bought a pair late season last year and wore them once. Worn them a few times this year and now seep all over. Had a pair of hodgman that I had for years w no issue until the boots dried up and cracked all on the top. Both pair were neoprene.

Bought my boys drakes 2.0’s last year and they are good so far. Hearing most of the breathables leaking where they meet the boot. We will see b

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All waders tend to suck these days, I'm convinced. If you hunt hard and hunt often, waders (I don't care what brand) become an expendable item. I prefer breathable waders for the majority of the season and then make the switch to neoprene once the marshes start to ice over. I've run the Cabelas dry-plus breathables for several years, mainly because they're relatively inexpensive and Cabelas has a great return/exchange policy. For neoprenes I've been running Drake Eqwader 2.0's for the past few years and they've been okay, but now all 3 pairs I own each leak. LaCrosse neoprenes were never good IMO... I can't say anything good about those things. Cabelas supermag 800's were great... I wore those for 7 or 8 seasons, although I didn't abuse waders then the way I do today. My next pair of waders will likely be made by Sitka.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looked at those you stay warm enough ?
I'm a cold weather puss, but yeah other than my feet. The boots aren't that warm, so that's my only complaint. Whether we're in the boat or a blind, I take my slip on boot warmers or my little heater. I wear a light fleece layer and bought the wader sweatpants from DUX and they're a game changer when it comes to layering. Same with their thermal sweatshirt.

Reactions: jagermeister