Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Walleye

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hilmacks, a seafood fish market house in the Ashtabula harbor currently is charging $21.00/lb for Lake Erie Perch and $20.00 /lb for Walleye.

Crazy!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
You don’t think that’s a lot of money per pound for fish?
Maybe I’m spoiled cause I can just go wet a line when I have a taste for em.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Way too many variables in that equation. Figure in 100 grand in a boat and equipment and 1 mile to the gallon on a boat this size at 3 bucks per gallon and pay all your insurance and fees to the state to be a licensed guide. Divide that out and see what you come up with.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Way too many variables in that equation. Figure in 100 grand in a boat and equipment and 1 mile to the gallon on a boat this size at 3 bucks per gallon and pay all your insurance and fees to the state to be a licensed guide. Divide that out and see what you come up with.
So $150 a pound?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
So let's say for the fun of it 6 guys book a charter. 600 dollars. 6 fish per man. 36 fish total. Average fish this time of year is about 19 inches long. I'm estimating the filets will be about 1.25 lbs per fish. So 36 times 1.25 equals 45 lbs of filets. That is a variable of course depending on size of fish. 600 dollars divided by 45lbs = $13.33 dollars per pound. That's just for walleye.
So by my calculations you might as well book a charter with me rather than go to the fish market. Small price to pay for the experience of catching the fish yourself. 😁

Buckmaster

Portage
Ha! Sounds like my venison at $105.00/ per pound after the season expenses. $20.00/# for a guaranteed catch at the market really isn’t that bad of a deal. That’s been my method of fishing for the past 10 years now....or I could go buy a boat.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hay Gern, Just to be clear...
I have been out on charters and very much enjoyed the experience with friends. I support the industry. I have a friend in town that's offered charters for many years. The point of my post was to bitch about the price of the fish. No different than pitching about the price of ammo, lumber, tuna or any other item.

Reactions: Gern186