Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Waterfowl Taxidermist

Conkling220

Hi, Brad here. Shot my first duck over south zone opening weekend, want to get it mounted. Can anyone recommend a good Taxidermist near coshocton ohio or in the area? Cannot break the bank also.. thanks guys!

Conkling220

IMG_0046.jpg

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Congratulations on your bird . I cannot recommend anybody too awful close to ya . I have a few ducks mounted that I took to artistic touch in Oregon , Ohio . They are great looking . But they are a little on the pricey side . I'd rather spend a little extra and have something that looks great than save money and end up with a ok , or worse mount . Birds are really tough and if ya can manage to pay a little more it's definitely worth it. I understand that budget may not allow that tho.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Dan Clark is the best, but you pay for it. If I ever kill a Booner buck it's going to him, but otherwise, I will go elsewhere for $150-$200 less.

Ed delong does our deer heads he's good and alot cheaper than Dan. Dan has done a few birds for me and a fish. I can't get Ed talked into messing with them yet or he would have all my work. But your right Dan is damn good. I just like going in there and looking at what he's working on for the shows he goes to. Ron ashman in coshocton does a few buddies deer heads but not sure if he does birds or not.

JPN

coshocton
Ed delong does our deer heads he's good and alot cheaper than Dan. Dan has done a few birds for me and a fish. I can't get Ed talked into messing with them yet or he would have all my work. But your right Dan is damn good. I just like going in there and looking at what he's working on for the shows he goes to. Ron ashman in coshocton does a few buddies deer heads but not sure if he does birds or not.

Ron does my deer too, his son does turkeys but they don't do ducks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Apparently he realized he was working too cheaply lol... Haven't seen a 200.00 mount up this way in years...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Apparently he realized he was working too cheaply lol... Haven't seen a 200.00 mount up this way in years...
I have no clue what taxis get for ducks but I know in my 5 short years of getting critters mounted I've never seen anyone increase their price like that lol.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have no clue what taxis get for ducks but I know in my 5 short years of getting critters mounted I've never seen anyone increase their price like that lol.

Depends on the competition, if he realized he was way underpriced why would he not charge the going rate???

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Probably trying to cut down his work load. You can only mount so many animals in a years time. Increasing your price will cut out some customers, it's not easy turning away work,especially from past customers. So by raising the price they make the decision.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Probably trying to cut down his work load. You can only mount so many animals in a years time. Increasing your price will cut out some customers, it's not easy turning away work,especially from past customers. So by raising the price they make the decision.
Good point also

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

I will say this, birds are his strong suit but I'd assume his profit is in deer heads cause there's no shortage of those in the shop. $200 for a duck is a "take my money" kind of price. At the same price as a deer head, it better be a significant mount. I have Remi's first 2 retrieves in the freezer and I'd like to have a dead mount. It's been 3 years trying to justify that purchase. Should have done it already!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
$325 is way too much for a basic duck mount. Artistic Touch in Oregon and Fallen Feathers in BG are both about as good as it gets when it comes to bird mounts, and neither are over $300. Fallen Feathers is charging $255 I believe for a basic duck. Bases and foliage cost extra of course.

The one thing about birds is that it takes a very skilled taxidermist to do them right. Anyone can get a deer to look half-assed decent. But an accurate depiction of a wild bird is a true art. Bird taxidermy is definitely a "get what you pay for" item.