Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weekend Walleye Report

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Walleye fishing is still very good in the western basin. Saturday, we started off casting north of b can and only pulled a couple of keepers after about an hour. The decision was made to start trolling, so I set the dipseys and started getting the boards in the water and both dipseys went off so we had two fish in the boat in a matter of minutes. Fishing remained very good and we finished off a 4 man limit by 12:00. I had some minnows along so we decided to perch fish for a couple of hours. Action wasn't up and down but we managed about 50 perch. Today, we went back to the same area we started catching right away. We finished up with a 5 man limit plus two other keepers while we were pulling lines. Biggest fish today was just under 27". We were pulling spoons off our jets and harnesses off the dipseys. Jets 40's were between 60-75 foot back with the dipseys set between 57-61 feet back on a 3 setting. I am looking for three more guys for a walk on trip next sunday if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Fish 558.jpg
    Fish 558.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Fish 557.jpg
    Fish 557.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 228

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
That's interesting you say that.....I was there Wednesday and Thursday and fished the same general areas and the fishing was average at best for us. Plus the size of the fish were very small, I would say 16" average. And let me not forget to mention the huge numbers of trash we caught.....white perch were a constant hassle, must have caught 100 of them, plus some catfish and sheep.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
We did catch a few white perch and sheephead when we were drifting. When we were trolling, we might have caught a total of 12 junk fish total (white perch/white bass) with zero sheephead. As far as the size, we did catch quite a few smaller eyes including around 20 throw backs, but also had quite a few fish over 20". Most of our bigger fish came on harnesses off the dipseys

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
We trolled the whole time and you couldn't get your board out without a white perch latching onto it within a minute or 2.....

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
When I am in the white perch like that I try a couple of thing. First, sometimes speeding up will help. If not, I go to bigger spoons and cranks.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When I am in the white perch like that I try a couple of thing. First, sometimes speeding up will help. If not, I go to bigger spoons and cranks.

That was my first thought too when I read Gern's post. Faster and bigger will just about always thin down the catch of junk fish.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yeah, that's a good idea. My daughter didn't mind reeling in those little bastards, so it wasn't a bad deal. She wanted to keep some of them to eat, so I said Ok. We cleaned about 20 of those white perch and ate them fresh....I must say they were quite good surprisingly.