Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What’s your Rut tactics?

Floki

So as I sit here and eat a bowl of Chili figured I would ask y’all how you hunt the rut.

Wondered if anybody had a specific routine they follow. If they hunt high or low mornings or evenings.

I hunt strictly from the ground. Unless it’s gun season then I may sit in a tree stand for a day or two.

Anyhow prerut/seeking I sorta just try to find how the does are traveling. Rattle and grunt here and there. I will do this through to the end of rut. Most the time tho I will grunt and rattle on site of a deer . It doesn’t matter to me how big the deer is you get them to come in ya learn something new from each one. It also puts some scent your way. Frankly it’s fun just to mess with the smaller bucks.

When they are chasing If I’m not getting any action and I know they are chasing I will move. If it’s hot I stay where I’m at. At this point I feel like it’s almost like hunting elk. Ya have to find them. I usually have select times that I will move to other spots.

Also before I move I will stand up and sorta make some noise run well not run but move quickly for ten to fifteen feet snapping sticks what ever then stop then repeat for about 15 minutes. I’ve actually had bucks run in to me by doing this. Sounds crazy as hell. But they hear that and think hey I need to go that way.

I’m sure many people on here have seen chasing and out of no where from a whole other side of hill comes a deer charging in that wasn’t on that does trail. They heard the commotion and came to it.

When they are on lock down. It’s the perfect time for spot and stalk. 90 percent of the time if the doe doesn’t see you. That buck will stay right there. Even if he knows your coming. If you get real lucky and there’s 3 or 4 smaller bucks trying to knock that doe to. It gets easier/odds go up.

I personally prefer to be more mobile during the phases of the rut. I know tho the results are I will get burned happens every year. Moved from a spot then get a nice one on camera. It happens. Yet I enjoy my time and try not to burn out one spot or rely on just one spot. I like most others have my faves but I also like switching things up. It’s helped my odds over the years.

A rutted up deer Will throw caution out the window. I guess I somewhat do the same thing thing. A bad wind won’t stop me from hunting a spot. Scared does being chased could give two shits in my mind about the wind when they are in the middle of playing the rape game.

I guess as everyone here already knows be where the does are going to be. A nice watering hole in the woods is always great as well.

Curious if others have a routine they follow. If anyone else throws caution out the window or does things a little different than if it were not rut time.

Reactions: giles and tracker 6

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I set up mock scrapes in an area that I know holds does. I’ll use a doe bleat/buck grunt occasionally but not often. I’ll sit dark to dark and if there’s does around, a buck will come through eventually. Some days you’ll only see a couple deer...other days you will see chasing and cruising all day long. Time and patience are my best tactics.

Reactions: Floki

Floki

I set up mock scrapes in an area that I know holds does. I’ll use a doe bleat/buck grunt occasionally but not often. I’ll sit dark to dark and if there’s does around, a buck will come through eventually. Some days you’ll only see a couple deer...other days you will see chasing and cruising all day long. Time and patience are my best tactics.

I’ve tried the mock scrapes I’ve never had much luck with them. I know others who have.Just not me. Same with a doe bleat can. Never had any luck with one but other people I know have. Hey still this day tho I’ll turn the can up.still do some mock scrapes to. Generally I get or if I get a buck it’s from someone else’s farm from gawd knows how far away (always makes me smile. Somone is wondering where the deer went one of the best things about rut as well ya never know what’s coming)Occasionally tho I’ll get one that I had on camera .

I like when it gets to the point that ya know the rut is almost over and the pressure is on. Usually for me it’s rut or bust. Gun season I swear I have the jinks.but that’s a whole other story.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like to find funnels or heavy creek crossings between doe bedding areas. Then it's simple... Just sit there, all damn day. Dark to dark. I also like secondary ridges. These always seem to be great cruising routes for midday bucks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pinch points/funnels in heavy doe areas. Sit as often and as long as I can.

Check cameras more often. If I have a target buck show up, especially trailing a doe, he will be there 2-3 days. Best time to kill a big boy? When a big boy is in the area.

I'm not afraid to blind rattle/grunt. Once an hour isn't out of the question if I KNOW we are in prime time. Rattled in one for my cousin last year. Have rattled them in for myself too. My biggest to date was rattled in.

I'm going to try the decoy this year more too. Pain in the butt to carry in. Well worth it if it works.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Lucky

Sunbury
Mine is to get in a tree with my climber in a funnell area that is in between some thick shit that always has deer bedding in them. And TOO sit all day. And will always have the can call,doe bleat with me. Out of 10 respectable bucks ive shot with bow , 4 have come rite to me, some from a distance when ive used doe bleat. Never had luck with doe in heat or rattiling but durring rut i always have the can and a buck grunt. Most times grunt gets ignored.... But my drop tine buck came rite to me thru standing corn to come whip my ass when i grunted. Sounded like a person running thru corn. He was pissed.. But i sit all day. Usually my best times are between 11 and 100 pm it seems. Getting close......

I hunt the best funnel on my small piece of property. In the eleven years I've owned this property history tells me this is my best bet. I make a mock scrape and hang a scrape dripper over it starting around October 15th. I hunt this funnel from the same box stand virtually every time I hunt from Oct 20th until gun season. I don't think you can over hunt a stand in a tight funnel as long as you hunt winds that suit the stand.

Usually, sitting in the funnel/ staging area stand we have set between the plots and the east bedding area pays off. I'll sit all day, as long as conditions are right. This time of the year, I pay more attention to where the bucks will cruising because of the wind, than worrying about the wind in a particular stand. My scent control regiment is OCD at best. Lol. That plus Ozonics yields great results for me.

I'm also not afraid to make some noise every 30-45 minutes. It's the time that they'll come in.

Granted, this year the mast drop is KILLING US. With the neighboring property in hundreds of acres of corn and tons of White oaks, the mature deer have not been over to our place since early October. It'll change soon, we have the does. God luck guys!!! Sometimes that's all it takes.