Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What I know about Halloween...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's a good time to spill the blood! What 'choo know?!?

20221030_103814.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No sense in dragging it out since it's FB official now 😂

What. A. Hunt!

Around 9:40, she was about out of rope with the cold and boredom. We'd only seen a small spike around 7:30, so it was time to make something happen. I told her we'd slip down the holler to another spot at 10, hunt there until noon, then head home. At 9:55, I heard this deer walking along the shelf to the N of us. I grunted twice. He stopped and looked our way, then started back the way he came. I hit him again and this time, he angled our way.

When he hit our boot trail, he smelled the EverCalm and followed it right to us. As soon as he rounded the corner, he pegged us sitting there and the stare down ensued! I have 5 minutes of video leading up to the shot that includes a lot of whispering and instructions on where to aim for the full frontal shot he was giving us at 15 steps. We stayed patient and as he turned to leave, I mouth bleated and stopped him at 18 steps. I asked if she was comfortable and she said yes, so I said "squeeeeeze" and then the silence of the woods was broken!

I knew he was smoked within the first half dozen steps! He made it 75 yards after the G5 Mega Meat chewed up both lungs.

20221030_105955.jpg

20221030_104320.jpg

I'm so proud of this kid. She wanted more from her hunting experience than just staring at a corn pile, so I went back to my roots and devised a plan that worked. And in the heat of the moment, she didn't rush the shot or take one she knew she shouldn't. She stayed calm and when it was time, absolutely delivered a death punch! My buddy was on the ridge above us and he was LOL'ing at hearing it all unfold. He said "I've never heard an animal get hit that hard before!"

One proud poppa right here! She'll be 10 in 2 months and this is deer #5. Second buck and the first without the aid of bait or a blind. We're gonna remember this one forever!

20221030_111937.jpg

Last edited: