Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is cost for new strings?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
My buddy went to a shop in central Ohio to get a new set of strings on his bow. He left the shop after they quoted him close to $200 for the strings and labor. Is that where things are at now or was the shop trying to take advantage of him?

It just seemed high to me but the last time I got new strings and cables I had them done at Skeeter Creek so I know I was taken care of. 😉

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You can get them for substantially less. IMO, high dollar strings started with Winners Choice. At that time they were worth every penny. Now they are junk. A lot of other string companies have popped up since WC is now trash. Most seem to be quality, but I don’t know if they are worth that. That last couple I bought were made by a buddy. 100 bucks and seem to be as good as WC was in their prime. I’ll be glad to give you his name via text if you want it and you can find him on Facebook.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I paid $180 for the top-shelf ABBs and installed them myself. IMO, they were worth every penny. My bow has never shot better.
For additional context to those reading that don't know, I shoot a 2007 Switchback XT. Wore out the factory strings, then a set of WC, then 2 sets of 452x from a popular custom string manufacturer, and now the ABBs. Night and day performance difference with the ABBs over any set I've ever had in terms of speed, staying in tune, peep rotation, etc. Buy once, cry once. I should get 3-4 seasons out of these, so for $50ish bucks a year to get a couple thousand shots on target, sure doesn't sound that bad.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
This is nuts… barriers everywhere for people to get into the sport. $1400 dollar bows that go no faster or than 500 dollar bows and now 200 dollar strings… good lord … buy AR’s and 10 year old bows guys… way better investments…

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Fisherman's Warehouse in Columbus did the work on one of my Mathews bows last week. They've done all my bow stuff ever since 2007.

Attachments

• 20220813_093052.jpg
    20220813_093052.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 80

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Wait…10 bucks for a loop? Did you paper tune it or did they paper tune it? When I was a dealer for proline strings back about 6 years ago I go the entire 452 x set for 60 bucks!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wait…10 bucks for a loop? Did you paper tune it or did they paper tune it? When I was a dealer for proline strings back about 6 years ago I go the entire 452 x set for 60 bucks!

They paper tuned it. The tech did the final peep tie in after I shot it a few times inside their indoor range.

I'm very satisfied with the work they've done for me over the many years.

Two seasons ago during control hunt at a state park, my bow string got hung up in a thicket while I was hiking out for the day and popped the string off the bow. The next day, I swung by the bow shop of theirs just before I was heading back out to the park with my other Mathews backup bow for another hunt and they were able to put the string back on the original bow I wanted to use after they thoroughly checked the bow out for any limb stress fractures or any other kind of damage first. The guys hooked me right up without delay and I was out the door within 20 minutes with the original bow I wanted to hunt with at a minimal cost. I was very pleased with them in helping me out in that situation even though I was totally prepared to hunt without that compound bow for at least a few days, but no, they took care of me right away, which I totally appreciated and killed another deer with it a couple days later.

I've never had a bad experience with Fisherman's Warehouse in Columbus and like I said, I've used them since 2007. They've probably done at least a half dozen compound bow restrings/tunes for me within that time frame on at least four different compound bows too, Never had any immediate problem or any problems of any kind with any of the bows they've worked on afterwards either.

How I came across them originally was when I lived in Pickaway Co. at the time and needed some bow work done. They were the closest shop to me at the time. I've stuck with them ever since then even though I now live in Ross Co. and it's another 30 minutes more of a drive to get to them.