Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Phase are the Whitetail in Now?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Seen 22 in the field tonight where i hunted gun week.i only seen 10 deer the hole week of gun there. Was gonna hunt it this weekend but with the weather warming up and rain i dont know what to do. Might try somewhere else and hope we get some cold weather for muzzy season.

Reactions: Hoytman62 and giles

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I have been glassing the last couple nights. The first night the deer were in winter wheat, a bunch of them. A nice 120-130” 8 was chasing a doe around. Last night it was colder and the deer were in a neighboring corn field. Tonight Mason hunted the wheat field. He saw 11. The same buck came out, made scrapes and fed with the does. One of them must be smelling right. He was on the ground and could have shot the buck at 24 yards. They are in the “being a deer” phase.

Jamie

Ohio
it's all about food now, again, still. eating and staying out of harms way is a deers life 24/7 365. procreating is distant third in the grand scheme of things. solid food sources will always produce if you are tactically savvy enough to exploit them.

Reactions: jagermeister

Buckkillr

Athens
I’m in Central Ohio and wondering are the whitetail in Post Rut, Second Rut or what? Thanks for the information!!
They are in second phase, I missed Sunday, Monday hunt but got out yesterday and at least one Doe was trying to evade a spike for 20 minutes. Gheeesh was it noisy, the ground was super crunchy. Walking in was like walking on eggshells lol