Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What time of the year fish start biting?

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Now that I have a boat, I’m fixing to take it to the lake soon. I haven’t really been fishing for crappie like I should have. I’ve been hooked on fishing for largemouth. So, I wanna get into crappie this time to stock up meat in freezer. Anyway, when’s it usually Crappie start to heat up in Ohio?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
D9320B0B-4E20-4AF5-8B3B-9B57A5587FAD.jpeg

whitetailjunky3

I seen about 5 feet of open water today at work so i suppose I better get the boat out of storage. Never had much luck till around March 12th. My first large mouth was March 26 last year but I was slacking.

Reactions: MoonLab

LonewolfNopack

The woods
They never stop biting. Most of my crappie fishing is done in the dead of winter, and we typically do well. Creek channels and chunk rock are key where I fish this time of year. Every lake fishes different though. If it gets too cold I switch to ice gear and catch them that way too. They still gotta eat!

Reactions: giles

Bigcountry40

I do pretty well in the reservoirs up here in Early May with the Crappie, thats also when the small mouth seem to start hittin and walleye are in full swing by mid to late April (not the river walleye)