Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What "weird" stuff have you seen?

saddlepants

central Ohio
What strange "things" or happenings have you seen while hunting that you either couldnt describe and freaked you out or were just plain unusual... I have four.

1. Several of us spotted a wolverine, and tracks, and cub tracks on a property at different times. they dont live in Ohio.

2. Two of us saw strange glows or "lights" near or on the ground one season. Couldnt find anything while searching and only can be figured some sort of glow bugs or worms late late in the season.

3. My tree shook like a small earthquake or tremor while in the stand. No wind. nothing on the local pages for earthquakes for that day. Felt like something was below me shaking the tree like a bear. No bear. I saw it shake my bow before i felt it. twice within minutes of each other. No sound or blasting nearby either.

4. elk tracks on the property but that was discovered from a loose farm elk and it was shot nearby.

saddlepants

central Ohio
SP, maybe number 3 was caused by a squirrel jumping into or out of your tree?

No way. it was a definite vibration and way too big a tree for a rat to shake. The glow lights were probably firefly larve that live for two years in the ground before becoming fireflys. The glow they produce is to tell predators they are toxic and they are predators themselves preying on snails and slugs. I figure a strange warming in that season brought them out of the dirt to hunt.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
1. I watched a small buck chocking on a acron, laughed my ass off. Never thought about a deer chocking like a human.

2. Watched a turkey chase a doe away for his spot like 3 times within 45 minutes.

3. While bow hunting in VA had a freaking black bear walk right under me, stop at the base of the tree and look up at me. I was shaking like a leaf.

4. Saw a Pieball.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Only one that really comes to mind for me is before I knew about them being in the area, I had a badger come down a fence row and right under my stand at dark. At first I thought it was a skunk...

Diablo54

Outside
Moundhill you need to upload that video we have from last years turkey hunt! I still dunno what that thing was.

I watched a tree fall and fall only feet away from 2 bedded fawns. That was a funny experience.

Some weird stuff while shed hunting public places

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I walked onto public land and saw Joe whacking off in a tree. It was horrifying. Made me want to quit hunting.:smiley_crocodile:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I saw a gray wolf while bowhunting in the UP a few years ago. The same year I shot a 40lb porcupine up there with a bow....neat looking animals.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Moundhill you need to upload that video we have from last years turkey hunt! I still dunno what that thing was.

I watched a tree fall and fall only feet away from 2 bedded fawns. That was a funny experience.

Some weird stuff while shed hunting public places

I'll work on it..
I'm sure i have some i just cant think of them.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
That's cool! I didn't know that they got that big. Do you have a picture?

The first thing I thought of when I first saw him coming through that cedar swamp was a black bear....he looked huge from a ways off.

I don't know if I have a picture or not, porcupines can get good sized.....he was actually probably 30-35 lbs but after I carried that sucker 3/4 mile back to the truck he felt like 100lbs. I brought him home and put him in the freezer and planned on mounting him. After 2 years in the freezer I was running out of room and decided that a prickly porcupine probably wouldn't be a very good idea to have mounted in the house with young kids, so I tossed him out.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Years ago when I was 15 ( I think ) I was in Canada with my fathers cousin fishing a back lake a got to watch a couple skining dipping. :smiley_bril:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm waiting on Got One to post up a story about catching me pinch a loaf in the middle of a drive through his binos one time!!! :smiley_crocodile:

I've been witness to a small handful of "weird" things over the years. The first time I witnessed a snort-wheeze, it was a 2.5 year old buck who was standing directly at the base of my ladder stand. Every time he would do it, he'd fling snot every where. He stood there for 2-3 minutes making ALL kinds of noises that I had and still have never heard from a deer. I've never seen a buck that torqued up!!!

Adam Nickle can attest to this one. We were on a "squirrel hunt" in some woods outside of Athens when we were in college. We stopped for a break and while we were sitting there, an acorn went whizzing past our heads like someone threw it at us. We never heard it hit anything and it was at such the perfect angle, it was hard to believe it bounced like that. We said it was Predator and got the fugg outta town!!!

My uncle almost got to shoot a zebra on a drive around Torch, Ohio a while back. Its a funny ass story!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Interesting stuff here...A Zebra? Really? wth? And WHO is predator?

Yes, a zebra. It escaped from a game farm and they ran in to it while riding horses. They called the GW and the owner of the zebra in for a pow-wow, so before long the decision was made to kill it since it had been loose for a while and they didn't have any way to capture it. Problem was, the owner didn't want to shoot it because he was attached to it. The GW said he wouldn't shoot it over fear of the DNR busting his chops. My uncle was there with his buddy who was the landowner of the farm where the zebra was hanging out. His buddy didn't want to shoot it because he owns a horse ranch and didn't need the bad publicity! So my uncle being the Redneck he is was like: "I'll shoot the damn thing" and shouldered his .30-06. He was lining it up in his sites when it came over the GW's radio that they had a tranquilizer on the way. My uncle was a trigger squeeze from killing a "wild" zebra in Athens County!!! :smiley_crocodile:

Huckleberry Finn

This is Predator. Great movies!

predator.jpg

--

That squirrel story made me think of a good one. I was squirrel hunting three years ago and was having a good morning, had 2 in my bag. I was walking down a path and I felt something fell into the front pocket of my waist game belt off a can of skoal. I reached in an pulled out an acorn. Huh? Falling acorns? I went another 15 yards down the path, turned around and 5 minutes later shot a squirrel out of the tree I walked under. I swear the squirrel dropped it on me (ok, since no one would believe that, he at least shook it off at the wrong time)

Huckleberry Finn

Oh. And this is Predator...

[video=youtube;9u8vZwvP57Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y[/video]

That's Predators, not the 1987 classic with Arnold! There was at least one more after than, and then Predator v. Aliens. ...with the classic line "If it bleeds, we can kill it"