Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When looking for a taxidermist how do you make your choice?

When you look for a taxidermist.

• Do you look for price?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Do you look for quality no matter the price?

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Do you just go to the guy down the street and hope to hell he knows what he is doing?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Hey guys just looking for some input.
This seems to be one of those years, where the cheap guy is winning. This got me to thinking and wondering. What goes into most peoples thought process when choosing a taxidermist. I'm not the cheapest one around , but I do put in alot of detail. I also use the best materials out there not the cheapest.

If you have any other reasons not listed lets hear them.

Thanks for the input

Last edited:

RUT NUT

My main priority is QUALITY. When getting a buck mounted....I want it to look as natural and lifelike as possible. I want it to be done in a way that will last many years. (With the proper care of course.) Second I like a good turn around. I don't want the taxidermist to rush by any means....but I also don't want to be one of those guys who wait 1 1/2 to 2 years to get there mount back. Third would be cost for me. I think when it comes to taxidermy work....you get what you pay for. I will gladly pay $100 to $200 more then the average guy charges to ensure a quality piece. I think most people that find a taxidermist who charges a significant amount less then others....thinks that the price will reflect upon the final product. This may not always be the case....but I've seen it more times then not.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I happen to use a guy just north of Newark Ohio that is both Excellent and Probably the cheapest around.....That's what I'm talkin about! And his turn-around is Excellent too!

Last edited by a moderator:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In the end, I don't care if it is $350 or $400. If it is something I will keep the rest of my life a $50 difference isn't going to matter. However, I want it to look great and I expect it to last a good long time.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I pay about a hundred dollars more than the cheaper guy in the area. The time and effort we put into our deer, IMO it is well worth it to have a mount that looks great and will last a lifetime.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like many other things out there, you usually get what you pay for. I have found that most taxidermists are pretty comparable when it comes to price these days. The 300-400 dollar range is pretty typical for a shoulder mount. For me, it's all about the quality of the mount. I go to the taxidermist that does the best work for the price, treats me like a customer should be treated, and has a relatively quick turnaround. I've actually considered getting into taxidermy myself... I just came to the conclusion that I have too many other hobbies right now and my small garage is already maxed out. lol

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Quality no matter the price. My guy has been in the business since 1968 and gets plenty of business, and his current price for a shoulder mount is $625. As long as he is still mounting heads he will have my business.

If you look at all the other money that goes into getting a wall worthy buck, then a couple hundy more aint going to break the bank for a mount that you will be proud to look at for a long time. I have an uncle that has shot some nice bucks, but he has gotten some rotten taxidermy work for less money and it shows.....it's a no brainer here. Get quality work done, and quality work doesn't always mean expensive either.

saddlepants

central Ohio
My first two were $150 dollar mounts and the last was by a woman around here was around $350 and it shows. That buck still looks alive...the other two look dead and are starting to fade even more. I wanna learn it myself.

Last edited:
I look for quality. I want something to last. 3 years ago I took a buck to a guy who charged $250 for his mounts because some buddies of mine had been taking theirs to him for a couple of years. I was not all that impressed. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad but I thought it could have been better. This year I called the guy just to see what his prices were and he raised it to $280 due to the raise in cost of supplies. I contacted another guy whose mounts I have seen and were really impressed with and he charged $325. To me it was a no-brainer. I'll spend an extra $45 for a better looking mount. This caused some controversy between my Dad and I because one of his good friends helps out the taxidermist that did my mount 3 years ago. I told him I didn't mean to offend anyone but the other guy IMO did a much nicer mount. I think he just didn't want to have to explain to the guy that I took my deer to a guy who charged more and who I thought would do a much nicer mount. The taxidermist only takes about 30-40 deer a year and I was only the 4th deer he had gotten this year. He says I should have it back close to Christmas. I'll be sure to post a picture of both mounts and let you guys compare when I get this years buck back.

In '09, I went with a taxidermist that I'd never heard of or knew about...local guy. The taxidermist gave me 5% off of the bill, since I'd used the local meat processor. I thought he (Dave Bailey) did a fine job.

It was $285 + tax, for this guy:

Bowhunter57

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Hey bowhunter57 if you don't mind would you please put a close up or as close as you can a clear picture of that mounts eye either one.

saddlepants

central Ohio
This first one is around $300 but I asked her to fix the broken off tip on the extra brow spike.HALF- Sneak. She also did a real nice wall pedestal for my ex and put buckskin for the backing for around $350. Now these are a bit dusty right now
$300 mount.jpg
lose up of same buck - TAILFEATHERS Taxidermy in Centerburg area
$3oo mount close up.jpg

Now here is my first buck done for $150 from "some other guy" who does it as a buisness. Huge difference.
$150 mount.jpg

whitetailspecialties said:
Hey bowhunter57 if you don't mind would you please put a close up or as close as you can a clear picture of that mounts eye either one.
whitetailspecialties,
Here ya go...not sure the resolution is high enough to give the clarity you may be looking for, but it's from my 3meg cell phone. :smiley_blink:

Eye 1

Close Eye 1

Eye 2

Close Eye 2

Bowhunter57

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Bowhunter57 thank you very much for the pics, your cell worked just fine.

Here's a pic of a deer I did 4 days ago. There is no finish work done to this deer. A little bit of filler where needed and paint in 2 weeks after it dries. Thanks for looking

saddlepants

central Ohio
Haha I had put mine up just for fun just when asked for his. Yours are really good too - where are you located!! Op , never mind i went to your website.Damn Lima is too far away. But your work is awsome!!

Last edited:

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Thanks for the input. If you don't mind I have another question or two.
Since the majority look for quality. What are a few of the thinks you look for? Do you care about inner ear detail? Do you know that a live deers nose is not all black, or is this something thats not that big of a deal? (It does have a little pink along with some grayish brown and a little black) Do these little things matter or do you want to know more about the materials used to produce your mount?
Guys and Gals I know I'm asking some strange questions. I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell myself to some customers. That price is not everything, that using the best products and methods is more important than saving $40.00. Most if not all on here are hunters the exact group I'm trying to target. Thats why I'm asking you. Thanks again

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks for the input. If you don't mind I have another question or two.
Since the majority look for quality. What are a few of the thinks you look for? Do you care about inner ear detail? Do you know that a live deers nose is not all black, or is this something thats not that big of a deal? (It does have a little pink along with some grayish brown and a little black) Do these little things matter or do you want to know more about the materials used to produce your mount?
Guys and Gals I know I'm asking some strange questions. I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell myself to some customers. That price is not everything, that using the best products and methods is more important than saving $40.00. Most if not all on here are hunters the exact group I'm trying to target. Thats why I'm asking you. Thanks again

Never really notice inner ear detail. As most mounts are hung higher than the viewers head... About the nose. I am particular that the nostrils are not too open or flared.. As far as color, shades aren't really required. It just can't be too shiny, i have seen some that look high gloss, and some that we're way too dull.. The other thing i look at is the nose stippling, that it's not filled in with whatever they used to paint the nose, but still has detail....

Mostly I look at the mouth, the corners specifically, that they aren't too open or curled up.. "Smiling" And the eye ducts that they aren't too open of black.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
This is off my cell phone but here is one of my mounts... My favorite one...

Attachments

• 335.jpg
    335.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 186