Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who Has a Tax Law Guy.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
More of a legal question.

So the Ohio department of Taxation sent me an assessment in the mail for my 2019 tax year saying I underpaid some school tax that I wasn't aware had been passed. I'm not debating if I owe(d) the tax or not. My question is the enforcement mechanism for collection. If I don't file an amended return within 60 days and pay the amount due the Department of Taxation will forward the assessment as fact to the Ohio Attorney General for collection. Usually the AG files it in your county clerks office as a judgement against you and places a lien on your property, or attempts to garnish bank accounts or wages etc.

My question is regarding Ohio's legal authority to file civil action against a person who is not a resident, I do not own property, and I'm not employed in the state. Logic would dictate they do not have legal authority to file civil action against me in the state of Ohio as they don;t have legal jurisdiction over me. They could in the state of MS but I could also dispute it and require them to prove it in court in MS. Odds are I'm going to pay it, but I kinda like being an asshole too. It's only about $800 but if they have a very steep burden of collection I may offer a settlement amount. :ROFLMAO:

So does anyone have a tax attorney they could bounce that off of real quick?

Reactions: Cogz

Buckmaster

Portage
Same situation as I Joe. Yesterday I received a similar letter saying I owe an additional $886 on a vehicle I purchased exactly one year ago. Guess I’ll bend over and pay it. Not worth my fight.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They are cracking down on everything which generates revenue. Sales tax monthly payments never had a penalty if you were a couple days late. You just paid the interest for the late days. No big deal. If you were busy, you just got to it when you had time and paid a few bucks in interest. Not anymore. Big time late fees and penalties. Set a new reminder in my phone. Lol. They dicked up our state. They cost themselves millions. Now they are trying to generate revenue to cover it.

Buckmaster

Portage
Interest was $24 bucks a year later. Late fee was over $100. Thus I owe $ 890 on a 30 year old vehicle based on Ohio’s estimated value of $12k that I paid $700 cash and carry. The lack of purchase receipt got me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interest was $24 bucks a year later. Late fee was over $100. Thus I owe $ 890 on a 30 year old vehicle based on Ohio’s estimated value of $12k that I paid $700 cash and carry. The lack of purchase receipt got me.
Did you need me to send the receipt? All you had to do was ask? 🤣

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yes they can domesticate a new tax lien if they know where u live. they can bring it to whatever state and put a taw lien on property. Doubtful with a small amount but doable.....from my cousin an attorney.

Thanks. Appreciate it buddy. "Domesticate" is the term I was missing. The AG would file judgement in Columbus then domesticate that judgement in MS. It's the tax man so I am sure it's something they do on a daily basis.

Looks like I'll just wait another 54 days and file the amended return two days before the deadline making sure to overpay it by $2 so they have to send me a refund check. 😂

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks. Appreciate it buddy. "Domesticate" is the term I was missing. The AG would file judgement in Columbus then domesticate that judgement in MS. It's the tax man so I am sure it's something they do on a daily basis.

Looks like I'll just wait another 54 days and file the amended return two days before the deadline making sure to overpay it by $2 so they have to send me a refund check. 😂
And they’ll spend twice the amount owed in collecting it 😂 Good business plan 😂

Reactions: Big_Holla