Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wind direction for saddles

10colton01

Hey guys, I have scoured as much public knowledge on the topic as my eyes can handle and I have read a couple books on the matter but I always like to consult the more seasoned guys for advice as well. As for wind direction in saddles, do you want the wind 90 degrees to the ridge line (wind blowing through the saddle) or parallel to the ridge line and walk along the top for enterance/exit? This is my first season bow hunting and I’ll be in SE Ohio so it’s hilly as all get out. Thanks in advance for any guidance

Chass

The Hills
All depends on where the deer like to come from on that particular saddle really. One set up that's correct for one saddle isn't going to work on another because the deer favor a different pattern.
Personally, I'd put up at least one camera on it. If it's a place I want to put a lot of focus and time into, more than one camera. Get as much data as you can on the deers favored entry/exit methods and then base your sets as well as your own entry/exits upon this. Nothing worse than not having a way to get in and out without the deer busting you every time they show up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, in my opinion it really depends where you expect them to come from, where they bed, where they feed...

Another thing that I really paid attention to last few years are thermals. Hunting up on the saddle in the mornings and low side in the evenings can for sure work in your favor. I have a really nice saddle I hunt. On each side it drops into a deep hollow. In the mornings I like to get halfway down and actually use the hillside as my treestand. No need to get up in a tree when the trail is about 30 feet below me. Behind my back is the rest of the hill up to the top of the saddle. If it's too noisy walking in, I use the stand at the very top in the mornings.
In the evenings, I use the stand at the very bottom in hopes that the thermals won't spread my scent all over the place. Saddles can be tricky too because of the wind swirling off of them. If you hunt the base of the saddle, expect the wind to swirl a bit.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should add, my morning setup halfway down the hill faces east so it is ideal on those sunny mornings when the sun hits that area first and cause the thermals to rise pretty quick taking any scent with them. If your area where you set up faces north or west, plan on late morning warm ups so hunt lower there. My saddle runs north south, so one side (the east where I hunt mostly) warms quick. If I were hunting the opposite side I'd go higher in the mornings. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Big_Holla

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've always hunted high on the ridge in the AM and low in the bottoms in the PM here in SE Ohio. Beyond that, I'm calculating where I expect deer to travel to/from, then I hang my stand according to that expectation. Generally speaking, I'd favor a 90 degree wind in my face, blowing out over the ravine over anything else.

Reactions: OO2

OO2

In the Uplands
Some good things said here already!

Maybe look into a bee smoker and wood chips to smoke your self up.

A fellow member and I were talking how the smoke really helps you hunt those “not perfect” winds. This is with the thought process that the mature buck won’t always travel that path you are set up on with a perfect wind for you that is a bad wind for him. It gives you a little more wiggle room

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

Reactions: "J"