Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Witch hazel?

Bowkills

Nw oh
Anyone have a lot on their property? What's your opinions of it? My place is starting to get some grown up spots of it. I'm currently cutting unwanted species out to give hardwoods a chance. Should it stay or go? Looks like it blocks young hardwoods from taking off but I'm a fan of deer enjoy them I guess......

Chass

The Hills
I get cutting out vines and invasives that can take over but why wouldn't your hardwoods have a chance?
Dont forget that hardwoods really dont provide any forage for deer or other animals or any cover for that matter. Big old hardwoods just aren't good for anything but squirrels and birds. I'd not cut the brushy stuff that will be what deer are coming to your property to eat as they will be leaving your property for the neighbors and stay put.

Reactions: Mike

Bowkills

Nw oh
I get cutting out vines and invasives that can take over but why wouldn't your hardwoods have a chance?
Dont forget that hardwoods really dont provide any forage for deer or other animals or any cover for that matter. Big old hardwoods just aren't good for anything but squirrels and birds. I'd not cut the brushy stuff that will be what deer are coming to your property to eat as they will be leaving your property for the neighbors and stay put.
my property doesn't hold deer well I'd rather have all woods. Just wondering if deer enjoyed witch hazel. I believe the witch hazel blocks sunlight prevent anything from growing underneath or that's what it seems like.

Chass

The Hills
https://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/witchhazel.htm

Idk much about it but it seems it's not a preferred browsing source except during late season. With that being said as well as deer not frequenting your area I'd think twice about removing any food source from them whether preferred or not.

If you're all woods right now it sounds like it's time to cut some and/or let the brush grow a few years. 2+ years after a cut is prime, tons of food sources and an abundance of cover.

Bowkills

Nw oh
https://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/witchhazel.htm

Idk much about it but it seems it's not a preferred browsing source except during late season. With that being said as well as deer not frequenting your area I'd think twice about removing any food source from them whether preferred or not.

If you're all woods right now it sounds like it's time to cut some and/or let the brush grow a few years. 2+ years after a cut is prime, tons of food sources and an abundance of cover.
This has been an ongoing project. I'll give it one last go around and let nature take its course. I have a ton of prickly ash that's great for cover for rabbits. that took over after hinge cutting it wrong in the beginning 8yrs ago and made it damn near impassable. It got better as they matured but it's not what I want anymore. This is a pass through property with better bedding conditions on neighboring properties. I'd be happy if it were all woods again. Had good results with tordon last year on the pricks with shooting lanes. witchhazel has taken over a few parts by ur answer has no value to what I want. Thanks for the reply.