Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Worst deer hunting states ?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Every state except 2 are from the northeast. NJ came in at number 2…not surprising as you can legally take 6 bucks in a season…hard for a deer to reach maturity and the ones that do are either nocturnal or live someplace that you can’t hunt.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike

Fletch

Supporting Member
New Jersey SUCKS AS A DEER HUNTING STATE!!!!! We have the worst game commission in the country... All they are interested in is the God Almighty $$$$$... Where the hell else can you hunt from Sept. through Feb. and in some areas shoot unlimited does???? Down by George the deer herd isn't bad, but up in the Northern part of the state there are areas that you can hunt for weeks on end and not see a deer...

Bigcountry40

Why should Florida be #1?There’s definitely a healthy deer herd in all Florida. They’re just hard to hunt.
Very small bodied, buggy, but probably a lot opportunity, obviously Florida is a great hunting state, IDK i thought of you instantly when I wrote it, if I were hunting deer and had to pick between public land in Florida and New York, I would pick New York all day (remember only deer, can't kill hogs)

Bigcountry40

Wisconsin makes the list. Are they on drugs? Thats one of the absolute best deer hunting states without a doubt.
My thoughts as well, Michigan and Penn are deer camp states, I would argue that most of the southern states lack opportunity and deer quality. Maine probably should be #1

Last edited:

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Very small bodied, buggy, but probably a lot opportunity, obviously Florida is a great hunting state, IDK i thought of you instantly when I wrote it, if I were hunting deer and had to pick between public land in Florida and New York, I would pick New York all day (remember only deer, can't kill hogs)
Small bodied, yes. Generally speaking, small racked. But there are tons and tons of deer down there. If you learn how to become successful down there it’s a great and extremely fun place to hunt deer!

Every state except 2 are from the northeast. NJ came in at number 2…not surprising as you can legally take 6 bucks in a season…hard for a deer to reach maturity and the ones that do are either nocturnal or live someplace that you can’t hunt.
What he said !!!! All NJ fish and game is worried about is selling some addition permit or license. Extend bow permit plus a buck permit, ML permit plus a buck permit, SG permit plus a buck permit; and it goes on.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
What he said !!!! All NJ fish and game is worried about is selling some addition permit or license. Extend bow permit plus a buck permit, ML permit plus a buck permit, SG permit plus a buck permit; and it goes on.
:mad::mad::mad::mad: On top of all the bullshit permits, they were just asking for donations to help support the Wildlife Management Areas... WTF !!!! You mean all the dollars you collect from NJ sportsman for all these licenses, permits, buck tags etc. you have the gall to ask for donations???? Maybe they should start charging a fee to non hunters such as hikers, bird watchers etc. to use WMA's...

mike hunt

My oldest son is stationed on Long Island, he went on a controlled Deer hunt today and shot 3 Deer, that kid loves it there, he got extended there for another year. He has met some very nice people there also.

Reactions: giles

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I know the northern part of the had some nice deer but where I was in lower SW Fl., (Lee County) they were small and scrappy. 80-100lbs.
The hogs however could reach 500#.

I drove back home to bow hunt where I grew up in NE Oh. every fall.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

mike hunt

My oldest son is stationed on Long Island, he went on a controlled Deer hunt today and shot 3 Deer, that kid loves it there, he got extended there for another year. He has met some very nice people there also.
What a Tool

Attachments

• D5E064B9-60A2-46A5-AD0A-CE448203C856.jpeg
    D5E064B9-60A2-46A5-AD0A-CE448203C856.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 117