Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you fix it?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Finelyshedded started a post that got me thinking...If you shot a GIANT buck that was broken up but you had a number of trail camera pics showing exactly what he had for a rack would you have the taxidermist fix the rack?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I don't think I would. I feel a mount should represent the time of harvest.
If you do fix it, why not add another point or a couple inches more spread for next year TOO.
Just my 2 cents.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have 2 deer that I had fixed. Both were deer I had history with. I have a couple others I didn't do when I had them mounted mostly because they werent specific bucks I was targeting

Schu72

Streetsboro
Probably wouldn't repair a broken tine or two, but would strongly consider it if the deer was a half rack or was missing the majority of one antler.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Great question.... Dont know if I would be able to honestly answer that. When you say Giant I think 180"+. I watched Lee Lakosky pass a 190" class buck the other night from last year where half the beam was broken off (7points worth). I think you either take the risk of never seeing the deer again by passing him, shooting him bc hes a legend either way, and then make the decision to fix or not fix.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't think I would. I feel a mount should represent the time of harvest.
If you do fix it, why not add another point or a couple inches more spread for next year TOO.
Just my 2 cents.

My thoughts exactly.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
It always kinda irks me when guys talk about fixing broken tines of a deer they shot. I don't know why it bothers me so bad, but it is a big pet peeve of mine.

Schu72

Streetsboro
It always kinda irks me when guys talk about fixing broken tines of a deer they shot. I don't know why it bothers me so bad, but it is a big pet peeve of mine.

The deer did grow it. You aren't creating something that was never there.

Just curious...for those of you against anler repair, what are your thoughts on the Johnny King buck? He shot the antler off, so should it be scored? And how whould that be different than a buck losing an antler in a fight?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I will bite on this one...I got no problem with putting something back as it was before it was broken off. I wouldn't add extra tines or spread or whatever, but if you know what it should have looked like, then I say go for it.

Buckmaster

Portage
I think I'd favor keeping it as it hit the ground.

Here's another twist. I have a set of 176" sheds that were found behind my house. The squirrels found about 5 inches of them first so they are in need of repair before mounting. Someday I'd like to mount them on a cape. I spent my childhood in that woods and have lived in that neighborhood for the past 35 years until my recent move.

Should I get them fixed or mount them with chew marks and shortened points?

Attachments

• Brendan Shed Photo 2011.jpg
    Brendan Shed Photo 2011.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 199

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I think I'd favor keeping it as it hit the ground.

Here's another twist. I have a set of 176" sheds that were found behind my house. The squirrels found about 5 inches of them first so they are in need of repair before mounting. Someday I'd like to mount them on a cape. I spent my childhood in that woods and have lived in that neighborhood for the past 35 years until my recent move.

Should I get them fixed or mount them with chew marks and shortened points?

I can answer that one for you very easily......

and the final product.....