Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you intentionally use a slug gun for coyotes?

Sometimes there are opportunities of getting to shoot a coyote during the Deer Gun Season, but I've never had the chance. I'm guessing that a deer slug would knock a coyote into the next county. After having shot my first deer with a rifled slug barrel, using saboted ammo, the deer that I shot went down like a sack of taters.

However, would you intentionally use/choose a slug gun for coyotes?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
We have before, a few years ago after muzzleloader we setup pushes for yotes just like you would for deer. At that time I didn't own a rifle that would be sufficient for yotes, so the 870 with slugs did the trick!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't see why not. Inside 150 yds, most true slug guns are damn near as accurate as a rifle. In most areas of Ohio you're not going to be shooting at yotes much farther than that. And the slugs may even be a safer option since they won't travel as far. That being said, the right combination of choke and Dead Coyote or '00' Buck is lethal out to 75-80 yds... So most guys opt to go with something that patterns instead of a single slug.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Would be good practice for you and the new barrel...If your serious about bringin a yote home your chances will go up with the yote loads or 00 buck. Actually depends on your area and limits.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Absolutely. Let's face it, the hide isn't worth a squat anyway. If I get one, I will have it tanned and I could care less how big the hole in it is!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Absolutely. Let's face it, the hide isn't worth a squat anyway. If I get one, I will have it tanned and I could care less how big the hole in it is!

I have the hide off a big doe I shot years ago draped over the back of a old leather chair thats seen better days. Everyone that looks at it (the deer hide)wants to know where the bullet hole is. I flip the fur side over and point it out. The hole is a conversational piece and adds to the character of the "display".

Also is good to do for new boyfriends (daughters)with the " ya... I did that... I killed em... and immmmm kinda looken foward to killen again...

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't see why not. Inside 150 yds, most true slug guns are damn near as accurate as a rifle. In most areas of Ohio you're not going to be shooting at yotes much farther than that. And the slugs may even be a safer option since they won't travel as far. That being said, the right combination of choke and Dead Coyote or '00' Buck is lethal out to 75-80 yds... So most guys opt to go with something that patterns instead of a single slug.

Actually slugs are far more likely to ricochet than high powers. And when they do they actually go greater distances. PA had a study on it somewhere, i'll have to find it again.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Slugs would not be my first choice, but if that's what is in my hand or that's all I have i would not think twice about using it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Interesting.... I never would've guessed that.

More mass at a slower speed leads to higher weight and energy retention on impact. Where as a much faster and lighter bullet tends to break apart and the tiny pieces don't fly very far. If I remember correctly both projectiles were fired at 0 degrees.. A shotgun slug and a 150gr 30-06 round. The slug impacted somewhere in the 850 feet range, the rifle like 1,500... But the 30-06 went out to 4,000 feet while the slug went out to 5,000.. I do remember the slug ricocheted 1,000 feet further.. And was actually more dangerous not only because it went 1,000 feet further but also hit the ground sooner meaning it was out of control way longer than a rifle bullet was.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Does this answer your question? If nothing else, it verifies I wasn't BS'ing you.rotflmao

Remington 870 with Hornady SST. Approximately 40yds. Slightly quartering to me. Entry on left side mid ribcage. Exit through the guts as I was shooting down at her and she was also in a low spot. Not bad for a female. Estimated weight 35-40lbs.

Attachments

• !cid_620 Dec 3 coyote carnage.jpg
    !cid_620 Dec 3 coyote carnage.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 516
  • !cid_983 Dec 3 coyote with 870.jpg
    !cid_983 Dec 3 coyote with 870.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 598

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
More mass at a slower speed leads to higher weight and energy retention on impact. Where as a much faster and lighter bullet tends to break apart and the tiny pieces don't fly very far. If I remember correctly both projectiles were fired at 0 degrees.. A shotgun slug and a 150gr 30-06 round. The slug impacted somewhere in the 850 feet range, the rifle like 1,500... But the 30-06 went out to 4,000 feet while the slug went out to 5,000.. I do remember the slug ricocheted 1,000 feet further.. And was actually more dangerous not only because it went 1,000 feet further but also hit the ground sooner meaning it was out of control way longer than a rifle bullet was.

I guess I shouldn't have slept through most of my physics classes in college. lmao