Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Xbowgirl's Hunting Mission!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I decided to start this hunting journal due to a wise doe that is going to have me pulling my hair out and I want her bad!

We have a doe with 2 fawns hanging out in a certain spot. One of her fawns is light colored and pretty and the other is dark. I need to take some binoculars with me as I think the light one is a button buck, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Anyway, this big biotch busted me on one of my hunts, and on another, she knew I was there but she couldn't pinpoint me.

I told Rick that as soon as I shot my buck, she was mine and I wanted to be the one to take her out.

So, tonight I tried to go after her. The wind was right and I smoked up (still not convinced about the effectiveness of that) and snuck into my blind. A tree limb had come down on top of it, ripping the top of it some and caused the window screen to be depressed by several inches, so I had to scrunch down in my seat in an awkward position for over an hour and a half.

She finally came in and the supposed button buck was having a hayday with the pumpkins, but she immediately knew something wasn't right and kept sneaking around in the woods. About 10 minutes later she decided to come to the bait pile. Lil BB had spent the whole time eating and the other fawn sticks close to momma.

My first mistake was not checking my scope ahead of time. She turned broadside and I brought the bow up to get her in my sights and couldn't see well out of the scope. Grrrrrr. I wiped the one end and could see a tiny bit better, but had to do the other end before I could see well. I think it was a combination of steam and smoke, I dunno.

Now that I can see well, the dark fawn had moved in front of her and I didn't have a shot. Before the fawn moved out of the way, momma raised her head, looked at my blind and started walking towards it. When she got within 25 feet of me, she veered left into the thicket and sure enough, about 1 minute later, she started blowing and took off.

I figured that was as good of time as any to get out of there before I was actually seen.

Biotch wins round one.

badger

*Supporting Member*
A tree limb had come down on top of it, ripping the top of it some and caused the window screen to be depressed by several inches, so I had to scrunch down in my seat in an awkward position for over an hour and a half.

That had to be an awful heavy limb as you sure don't look very tall in the pics that have been posted here!
:smiley_coolpeace:

Good luck with her Diane!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That had to be an awful heavy limb as you sure don't look very tall in the pics that have been posted here!
:smiley_coolpeace:

Good luck with her Diane!

She say's she's 5'......I call her "4'-nothing"....But her quest for this doe is much bigger'n that! It's sorta funny as I can just see the celebration when she does go down. If it's the same one I have pic's of, she didn't get big by being dumb. I say use the Ghillie Suit, change positions, hide in the creek (wind should be perfect) and shoot her while she is staring at the blind!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark

I am 5 foot if I stand as tall and straight as I can! :smiley_crocodile:

I went to bed last night thinking about the blind. It's been there for 3 hunting seasons now, so it has become part of the habitat to these deer, especially with the tree limbs on it! The problem is when I am in it, this doe senses that I am there, but I know she has never actually seen me, just winded me or something and she now seems to check out that area, so it is time to move a bit.

This morning Rick suggested just what I was thinking about..........change positions and try and ambush her while she is checking out the blind.

Tonight I hope to get into the creek bed to hide with my Ghillie suit. Hopefully it will work, but at this point, if I get in and out of that creek bed (steep sides, at least to me!) without busting my azz, I'll consider it a small victory! :smiley_clap:

That was going to be my advise also. I have found that alot of mature does that reach ages 6-9 yrs. old actually become harder to kill than some old bucks. Changing your position will work but you need to play the wind. This doe relies heavily on her sense of smell, and she will not be fooled by cover scents, or attractants. Good luck on that crafty doe.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Changing your position will work but you need to play the wind.

If she comes in tonight from her usual trail, the wind should be perfect. The wind was good last night (plus I smoked up) but then she started her "circling" around my blind until she caught my scent. At least that's my guess.

I'm hoping to NOT give her anything to "circle" around! lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
4' nothing but she has the heart to do it! Hard to believe you can fit such a big heart in a tiny frame. Good luck Diane!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I will be there around 6:30 tonight so if you get one I can help drag it out...:D

No pressure, huh?! I'm looking forward to meeting you Eric and appreciate the offer!

It's a satisfying kill TOO when you have one that gives you issues...

If I do get her, it will definitely be a proud moment!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I think tonight's hunt lasted all of 45 minutes (maybe less) and biotch won this round also.

I had planned to hunt the creek bed on a North wind. However, the wind changed to NE and that would have been disastrous, so I decided to go to the top of the horseshoe and hope and pray that I had passed where they bed. There were about 5 deer trails between the bait pile and where I sat down.

I had a spot that I really liked but when I put the range finder to it, it was about 43 yards out and though my scope has a dot for that, I have not done any target shooting at the range and didn't feel comfortable practicing that shot on this wise old doe, so I moved to some brush that ranged in at 34 yards.

I bet I wasn't settled in for more than 15 minutes when i heard them moving. To my right was a thick brush pile that I could peek through. When I saw it was them, I got my bow up and the safety off and continued watching them come closer. The skittish fawn was in the lead with the momma following her. They were North of me which was perfect.

As they approached, I expected the fawn to take the trail closest to the bait pile and if not, surely she would take the second closest one. Wrong! This little dummy decided to take the trail that came out closest to me. The whole time I'm begging her to turn but she didn't.

When she popped her head out, she was maybe 12 feet in front of me. She looked around and immediately saw me as we were at eye level with each other. I just froze hoping she wouldn't spook, but knowing she probably would. After a couple of seconds, she stomped twice, then simply backed into the woods about 20 feet, but momma had disappeared. I sat motionless for close to 10 minutes watching this fawn trying to decide what to do when I heard Momma blow.

The big ole bitch had circled around South of me until she winded me and blew. If I had not been spotted, I had the perfect wind but when the fawn hesitated, Momma did her circling. Smart biotch.....

I'm gonna leave the area alone for several days before I try again.