Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youngstown Mill Creek Park

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
lots of albino deer from mill creek in the Ohio nature lovers Facebook group... this'll cause quite the stir over there
Any hunt in that park causes a stir….. They’ve done them before with lots of outcry from the tree huggers

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Listened to local call in radio a little this morning and I learned some things. Denny Malloy from Whitetails Unlimited was a caller.

The park claims there are 387 deer per square mile. Denny Malloy really questioned that number. I do to, I drive along edges of the park fairly frequently and don't see many deer or more dead deer along the road than other places I drive. the state average is something like 15/sq mile (if you believe ODNR numbers)

The Park had an advisory board on wildlife (I knew several members) but disbanded it a few years ago.

It sounds like they're leaning towards using sharpshooters more than hunters, but the decision hasn't been made public.

It's a very emotional issue. OK I didn't learn that, I already knew it 🤣

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Listened to local call in radio a little this morning and I learned some things. Denny Malloy from Whitetails Unlimited was a caller.

The park claims there are 387 deer per square mile. Denny Malloy really questioned that number. I do to, I drive along edges of the park fairly frequently and don't see many deer or more dead deer along the road than other places I drive. the state average is something like 15/sq mile (if you believe ODNR numbers)

The Park had an advisory board on wildlife (I knew several members) but disbanded it a few years ago.

It sounds like they're leaning towards using sharpshooters more than hunters, but the decision hasn't been made public.

It's a very emotional issue. OK I didn't learn that, I already knew it 🤣
I didn’t help when they were allowing people to hunt too close too the housing areas and deer were dropping in their backyards either…. Got to be a decent buffer to prevent that from happening. Not that it won’t still happen just minimize it.

Reactions: Left field

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I didn’t help when they were allowing people to hunt too close too the housing areas and deer were dropping in their backyards either…. Got to be a decent buffer to prevent that from happening. Not that it won’t still happen just minimize it.
Years ago one of my pumpkin customers asked if I was related to Rick Detwiler, we are something like 3rd-4th cousins. This guy was Rick's neighbor on the east side of the park south of 224. I guess Rick let someone hunt his backyard, these are maybe 2 acre lots😂

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Years ago one of my pumpkin customers asked if I was related to Rick Detwiler, we are something like 3rd-4th cousins. This guy was Rick's neighbor on the east side of the park south of 224. I guess Rick let someone hunt his backyard, these are maybe 2 acre lots😂
There’s more of that going on then people realize. Some get caught, most don’t….

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

People are idiots 😂

80FA9A23-FED7-42A2-BEA8-7836CDED7432.jpeg