Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youth hunter scores!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I had decided last year when I bought my son a Rossi 22/.410 combo that if he was ready I would take him deer hunting this season. When I came home from my 10 day rut trip I took him and the .410 out to do some shooting. I was excited after shooting slugs through that little .410 as he was consistantly hitting the mark at 30 yds. Friday night we started the preperation work, smoked up the blind and even jumped in it as it would quickly smoke us and our clothes. The 4 am wake up time was here, we dressed and hopped into the truck and we were off to Athens. I had decided to hunt a spot that I had bow hunted in years past but not this year so far. After the 1 hr hike back to the spot I quickly set up the blind, we cleared out the leaves and sat there quietly awaiting daylight. As the day began to break we had tree rats running all around us, my son who is 8 couldnt see out the windows so he decided to sit on my lap so he could enjoy the action. Around 7:20 I peeked out the side window to my left and I see a buck at 25 yds and coming. I help my son stand up once I see the deer trying to circle us, of course trying to get behind us. I reach over and hand him his gun and direct him out the correct window. Of course I was facing the opposite direction and didn't want to move. I watched him scan the woods, shoulder the gun, take a deep breath and BAM. I jerked my head in the direction just to see the deer collapse. He yells" Dad he is down, he is down right there! He ejected the shell and loaded another on his way out of the blind. The buck struggles to get up to his feet and BAM he shot again and this time it was perfect lung area shot. I quickly exited the blind and watched the deer standing at about 40 yds collapse once again. We sat there watching the deer as he took his last few breaths. He and I were so pumped that we went to the deer, he checked to make sure the deer was expired and thats when the work began. After a 2 hr drag out from behind Dow Lake(public land) we drove to the camp ground for some pictures. Of course I forgot my camera in the truck, I was kicking myself the whole time. Here are the photos of my 8 year old son Donnie and his public land 8 point.

saddlepants

central Ohio
What a nice first deer!! And I really like the way he handled it himself and you let him finish the job! Thats the way to teach man, good job. Wished I had a kid to take.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing and be sure to tell Donnie Congrats. You are teaching him the right way. :smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Outstanding.... Congrats too your son your're a good dad too take him out and you'll share this story that'll last for the rest of your lives......