Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB Youth Model .410

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Dang, thought you were selling one! I will look for you. I know where a 28 gauge is...

Thanks! I have a friend who is an FFL and have asked him to get me some prices also. I'd rather buy used though.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have never seen 28 gauge slugs anywhere so if that is a concern then go with the .410

I was thinking rabbit gun.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I have never seen 28 gauge slugs anywhere so if that is a concern then go with the .410

I was thinking rabbit gun.

Yeah, I am looking for a dual purpose gun. Thinking about taking my 7 year old youth hunting this year. I thought 28ga was more of an upland game gun, but again, I'm not familiar with them.

Schu72

Streetsboro
JJ look at the mossberg 510 mini. It's a .410 with a adjustable stock. I think it goes all the way down to like a 10" length of pull. I bought one last year for my sons. Ours won't be for sale for a few more years.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
JJ look at the mossberg 510 mini. It's a .410 with a adjustable stock. I think it goes all the way down to like a 10" length of pull. I bought one last year for my sons. Ours won't be for sale for a few more years.

Will do! Keep me in mind if you sell that one...I have another son who just turned 6 and a 2.5 year ok'd daughter. :)

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
How small is the 7 year old ?

As I have a 870 Express youth 20 gau that I was thinking of selling
Might be to much for a small kid

John

He's a tall kid for 7 and weighs 76lbs. I'm not sure exactly how tall, but I'm 6'4" and he comes up to my chest. I bought a .22/20ga Rossi last year and the 20ga kicks hard for me. The gun is too light to absorb the shock.

Huckleberry Finn

Don't people normally suggest a muzzleloader with a light powder load?

You should ask Gern...I forget which gun he bought his son during turkey season but that kid slays stuff!

lung buster

hocking county
I bought my 6 year old son a rossi .410/.22 Last year with hopes of getting him into to deer hunting this season. That little thing kicks like a mule. I even bought a limbsaver recoil pad for it and I still believe its to much for him. Also the .410 barrel is to thin to drill and tap for a scope mount. So I had to come up with another plan. I bought a cva wolf on sale. I cut 3 in off the stock and put a lb of lead in the stock. I also added the limbsaver pad. Weight is not an issue as he will be shooting off a rest. He has been using 50 grain of 777 Pushing a 200 Grain bullet. He loves shooting It and can't wait to get after them. Still using the rossi .22 Chasing squirrels. He has missed 8 but he's always ready to go again. Don't know if any of all that is any help but this is what is working for us. Good luck!

rossbows

When I was his age I used a muzzleloader with 90g of powder and did good with it. It would be alot cheaper than a 410. I was told not to shot slugs out of a 410 because most are full choked. It messes up the choke this was by a gun smith.

When I was his age I used a muzzleloader with 90g of powder and did good with it. It would be alot cheaper than a 410. I was told not to shot slugs out of a 410 because most are full choked. It messes up the choke this was by a gun smith.

you would get way tired of shooting slugs befor you would shoot the choke out of a steel bbl when shooting soft lead slugs. im callin wives tail here . and john . hard time finding a used youth shpotgun or any youth gun . they are usualy called for befor they are up for sale . go with the mossburg with the adjustable stock .

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep ole Hoot is right. It may not shoot the slugs the best but you will not hurt the barrel or chokes. If you did I wouldn't wanna shoot that gun in the first place.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Will do! Keep me in mind if you sell that one...I have another son who just turned 6 and a 2.5 year ok'd daughter. :)

I believe they were selling for around $299 last year. I figured with the two boys I'd get at least 4 years out of it and then maybe get $150 to $200 back once I sell it.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I believe they were selling for around $299 last year. I figured with the two boys I'd get at least 4 years out of it and then maybe get $150 to $200 back once I sell it.

I just saw that Woodbury has them for $268...getting ready to call around some local gun stores when they open at 10am.