Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

And so it begins

Stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway. When you guys dispatch your live animals do you head shot them or body and why?

I head shot mine figure it will be the least noticeable or of least concern to the fur buyer. That's my thought on it but if you guys do something different I would like to hear about it and the reason why.

My neighbor who is a taxidermist and traps for a living told me to use a catch pole on every critter (except skunk LOL) and put CBEE's (like GT said) a .22 short or even a pellet rifle into it's ear towards the brain. One of these day's I'll get back in it and give it a whirl. On skunks I believe he uses a pole with syringe filled with something to jab into their lungs.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My neighbor who is a taxidermist and traps for a living told me to use a catch pole on every critter (except skunk LOL) and put CBEE's (like GT said) a .22 short or even a pellet rifle into it's ear towards the brain. One of these day's I'll get back in it and give it a whirl. On skunks I believe he uses a pole with syringe filled with something to jab into their lungs.

Acetone

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
One more question. How do you guys that use snares create the memory for them to close faster? The ones I got pre-made don't seem to have very much memory and is pretty straight. I tried to coil them up and keep them that way but is there a way to create this faster? I have missed 3 coon because the snare didn't close fast enough on it's own and they simply backed out of it leaving it laying on the ground.

I am going out in the morning and moving a few of the traps now that we have some fresh snow on the ground. The direction I thought the coon was using to exit turns out not to be where they are going. I also have not seen much moving the last 2 days either so I don't know what the deal is. With the snow it will surely help me figure out where they are coming from and where they are going.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Use a 4" piece of pipe or conduit. 3" should work too. Hold your snare tight on it in an upside down U shape and pull it around front half or 2/3 of snare. You're pressure fitting that size into your cable. This will help "load" the snare. Hope this makes sense..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Use a 4" piece of pipe or conduit. 3" should work too. Hold your snare tight on it in an upside down U shape and pull it around front half or 2/3 of snare. You're pressure fitting that size into your cable. This will help "load" the snare. Hope this makes sense..

Thanks Rick. I will give this a shot and go from there. The way it was you had to put some pressure on it to get the lock to slide and the animal was feeling that pressure and backing out. But at least I figured out what the issue was, right lmao.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I also ran into a similar problem if my support was too flimsy or my snare lock was in or above the 12:00 location. Between 10 and 11 work best if it will hold.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I also ran into a similar problem if my support was too flimsy or my snare lock was in or above the 12:00 location. Between 10 and 11 work best if it will hold.

Tried raising my support wire so I could get a steeper angle and allow the lock to slide down a little easier today. I also have all my remaining snares back in the house to wrap them and see if we can get a little coil action lol.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
It's hard to guess from reading. I do remember this part of my learning curve....... They will trip easier on being bumped, but easier is good when their head is in it. Guy showed me by putting cam lock in 12:30 position and pushing down on inside of the bottom of snare......Then putting cam in 10:30 position and touching the inside of the bottom. I really understood then.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
It's hard to guess from reading. I do remember this part of my learning curve....... They will trip easier on being bumped, but easier is good when their head is in it. Guy showed me by putting cam lock in 12:30 position and pushing down on inside of the bottom of snare......Then putting cam in 10:30 position and touching the inside of the bottom. I really understood then.

In the 10:30-11:00 position it has the lock with a slight downward angle and uses less force to dislodge it and cause it to slide down the cable. Think of it like a teeter totter. Perfect weight balance (12 O'clock) and the lock doesn't slide but move the balance point and it allows it to "Tip" (slide) much easier.

Made since after I thought about it when I know I should have had 3 catches and why they backed out and how they was able to back out of it. The lock was above the tipping point and to trip it they had to apply too much force on the cable to get it to go to the 11 or 10:30 point where the lock would start to slid on it's own. They was able to back out because they felt the tension before it got to that point and since the lock never slid it didn't close allowing them to back out before being caught.

Lesson learned.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Those are the lessons you don't forget! Good Luck RC Can't wait to see the results!

Very true lol.

Not expecting much out of this season but the lessons learned season lol. Probably be another season or 2 before I get the hang of it good enough to make a difference lol.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
You'll be fine...Main thing is keep trying. I've always said "I'm not that good, but I can definitely tell you what WILL NOT work" Trial and error should be my middle name.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
With the snow on the ground and fresh yote tracks I noticed they do not go under the fence. They will walk along it and check the edges for sign of moles and mice and the occasional rabbit but never cross the fence. Strange.

Today I did find a similar setup like you have Rick, where there is a dead deer and 3 trails coming and going. I setup snares on those trails this afternoon. Hope to find something in them in the morning. Figure if they had found the deer they would remember where it was and return specially with the new snow and colder temps coming. We shall see in the morning.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just hope the rain stops soon so they will continue to use the tails I set the snares on. The deep snow had them funneled into the feeding area. I'm not sure if they will keep the same tavel route if the snow is gone.

Buckmaster

Portage
The deep snow had them funneled into the feeding area. I'm not sure if they will keep the same tavel route if the snow is gone.

While you have the snow stamp out a path your feet through the snared trail. The critters should follow it like any other trail.

My ztraps have arrived. I'll be making a couple coon sets upon the next warm up.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
While you have the snow stamp out a path your feet through the snared trail. The critters should follow it like any other trail.

My ztraps have arrived. I'll be making a couple coon sets upon the next warm up.

Walked the trail past the snares and hope it helps but with this wind and blowing snow who knows if it was all for not. If they walked that trail before to get to the carcass then they should follow it again. They chose those trails for a reason so hope they continue to use them. Guess we will find out tomorrow lol.