Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BigSlams yote trapping

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Lol yea its an adrenaline rush for sure. A buddy and I killed 3 in one night and we weighed them and they are deceivingly light. I think the heaviest was a little over 10# and the others were around 9#. They have a peculiar odor to them when your skinning them, its a sorta sweet smell.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Lol yea its an adrenaline rush for sure. A buddy and I killed 3 in one night and we weighed them and they are deceivingly light. I think the heaviest was a little over 10# and the others were around 9#. They have a peculiar odor to them when your skinning them, its a sorta sweet smell.
I was just reading that they emit an odor from their anal glands when pressured. I'm surprised I didn't smell it, I guess it was kind of windy though.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
image-632.jpg
image-631.jpg
hammer time!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It's been a good weekend for trapping! Caught and released the gray fox yesterday, then caught this male yote today. I didn't release the yote, he got hammered!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks guys. I set another snare where I caught that male. He tore the tall grass up pretty good so I had to lay some limbs on the ground and stick a couple branches in the ground to funnel the next one into the neck tie. This is a good spot for a snare, there are deep ravines on both sides of a makeshift road, so this is one of two spots they have to go though if they want on the other side.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
A buddy of mine came out with me today to help me with the foot holds. That's all he uses for yotes and fox and has caught several this year. We put in 2 sets today and plan on getting 3 more in on Thursday after the 3-5 inches of snow we are supposed to get. One will be a hay set that he's had some good luck with, that should be good for the snowy conditions. We'll see how the next couple of weeks go. For some reason I could give a shit less about finding any sheds, I just want to kill yotes! The properties I'm on are about a mile from my main farm, so every yote I catch will help. So far between me and another guy 11 yotes have been taken out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff Chad. Nice you guys are working together to make a dent. I have been out calling 4-5 times. No dice but still seeing them on camera. Wish I had time to trap.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Thanks Rick, I need it lol. I've only snared 2, the other guy caught 9 in foot holds.

I think we all want to do better (and it's more fun getting something for your efforts). Important thing is its 11 total. That's like 17-22 out of the population going into next year. Which equals how many fawns that survive??????