Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blind calling

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It depends on the time of the year. If I were to blind call right now it would be the lightest tickling of antlers. There could be some light sparring taking place but not like a full on fight. More along the lines of young bucks warming up or establishing a pecking order, or just horny and confused trying to figure out the increase in testosterone they are experiencing.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Light calling in thick or tight cover and start out lite but getting louder more aggressive in wide open areas but head must be on a swivel looking DW most of the time. Watch and listen to actual footage of bucks fighting and you’ll see that most hunters on TV back in the day did it way wrong. Most have gotten better but some still sound like shit. Lol

OO2

In the Uplands
The hardest thing starting out for me was over calling. I’d be on the rattling antlers / grunt tube every 10 minutes. It certainly didn’t help that the first decent buck I killed came from blind grunting. The following year was a disaster. Calling way too much. Throwing Hail Mary snort wheezes and grunts at bucks in the distance. Probably spooked more than I helped.

I think I’d recommend taking it easy the first year observing how deer communicate and situationally how they respond. I’d be ready to be burned on a few, that’ll happen. Bring a grunt / doe bleat see what happens

Last edited:

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I’ve had great luck on public blind calling. It’s all in location, time of year and type of calling. @finelyshedded touched on it a bit but it can be very helpful in creating success if you know when and how to call! But hey, best way to learn is to get out there and do it yourself, practice and get better! Ps, I have no idea how this post got stuck in bold lol

I don’t blind call much except a little light rattling in October
I don’t like to draw attention to myself
I use the grunt and bleat when it is obvious the deer is not coming my way
I have really amazing results
But for every amazing outcome there are a bunch who just ignore me and go on there way
No matter what when you call in a deer with out a decoy there attention is on you they can pin point the sound quickly
There has been many times I think if I would have a decoy calling would work much better
I have a decoy but I have never used it yet maybe this year will be the year

Reactions: Isaacorps and giles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I very rarely rattle. In 20+ years of bowhunting, I've never seen a buck respond to rattling, or even had an instance where I can correlate the two occurrences. I do like to grunt blindly on occasion and have seen it work. Same with a bleat can. Once I've laid eyes on an animal, I've had great success with grunts and bleats. 90% of the calling I do, is to deer I can see.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Public land is whole different animal especially if it’s got lots of pressure.
The only public I have ever hunted is in WV. I can’t count how many bucks I have grunted in. I love grunting in bucks I see in the distance. But there is an art to it for sure.
I’m with Jesse on the rattling. It’s worked a few times but I must really suck at it.

Reactions: Isaacorps
I very rarely rattle. In 20+ years of bowhunting, I've never seen a buck respond to rattling, or even had an instance where I can correlate the two occurrences. I do like to grunt blindly on occasion and have seen it work. Same with a bleat can. Once I've laid eyes on an animal, I've had great success with grunts and bleats. 90% of the calling I do, is to deer I can see.
I’m going to take a grunt call in this year and see if I have any luck should I hold off on trying to call till the rut or is it also affective pre-rut

Light calling in thick or tight cover and start out lite but getting louder more aggressive in wide open areas but head must be on a swivel looking DW most of the time. Watch and listen to actual footage of bucks fighting and you’ll see that most hunters on TV back in the day did it way wrong. Most have gotten better but some still sound like shit. Lol
Any tips on how to keep deer from circling down wind after I call

The hardest thing starting out for me was over calling. I’d be on the rattling antlers / grunt tube every 10 minutes. It certainly didn’t help that the first decent buck I killed came from blind grunting. The following year was a disaster. Calling way too much. Throwing Hail Mary snort wheezes and grunts at bucks in the distance. Probably spooked more than I helped.

I think I’d recommend taking it easy the first year observing how deer communicate and situationally how they respond. I’d be ready to be burned on a few, that’ll happen. Bring a grunt / doe bleat see what happens
Going out next week I will be picking up a grunt tube before then!

Reactions: OO2

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Any tips on how to keep deer from circling down wind after I call
9 times out of 10 the mature bucks always circle DW but my advice to you is find places like high walls, rivers, other large bodies of water or other structures they CAN’T get down wind. I’ve found some great sets on top of a ridge or DW from good bedding on the rim of a deep ravine or high above a crick bottom where my scent can travel over their heads if they did come in from DW.
Also, remember crick bottoms and ravines are great travel routes to and from your sets.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If blind grunting/rattling, I would save it for pre-rut or rut. Last few days in October or first couple weeks in November. No more than every half hour or so. Like many of these guys, I will use a can call for doe beat sounds or a grunt tube of I see a buck but he isn't coming my way. If the calls don't work, stop. You are just educating him on your position.