Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Burr Oak

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This past week-end my wife and I wanted to do something fun but with out spending a lot of cash. My wife is a school teacher and this was her first week-end off. So kind of on a whim, we packed up the truck and boat and headed off to Burr Oak Sate Park.

When I attended Hocking college in Nelsonville back in 2002, I dated a girl from McConellsvile and sometimes drove past this lake but had never actually been there. So I knew where it was a heard it was a nice place.

Anyways, this post isn't about how many fish I caught, cause I never caught a thing. Its more just a heads up that this lake is super super nice. The high "mountains" around the lake remind me of a miniature Dale Hollow. The new updated lodge, that I heard they invested a lot of money in is realy nice. Food was good and very affordable. It has drive up docks and yes they serve beer.

We ened up camping at a Wayne National Forest campsite. This was just up from dock #4. It was a FREE primitive campsite and if not for the rain (that came in at dusk) it would have been a perfect evening.

Here is the info on Burr Oak Lake and State Park: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/burroak/tabid/719/Default.aspx
Sleeping in the cab of the truck:

View from the lodge:
Few pictures out on the lake:

I went to Hocking College in 2002. Stayed in Sycamore hall. We used to have fires and drink beer at the pond on Utah Ridge Rd. Where did you live while you were there?

mrex

*Supporting member*
Love me some glouster.

My boys played little league baseball in Glouster for 5 years. One of the most violent fights I've ever witnessed broke out at one of their games between two moms who each had a kid on the same team. Those are some of the toughest people on the planet...fighting is part of the culture. In the 30+ years that I've lived in Athens County, I can think of at least 3 instances where people were killed in bar fights there. World renowned boxing / kick boxing trainer Sam Jones owns a gym that is the focal point of the town. It's been there since the 1930's. Trimble Township is one of the poorest in all of Appalachia. Their high school team, (the Trimble Tomcats), are always credible...not necessarily good...but every time you play them in anything, you know you were in a contest. My oldest son suffered 3 concussions playing high school football...two of them where in Glouster.

Ricer2231

I gotta agree with ya about knowing ya been in a football game with those Trimble boys. My son went to John Glenn and we were invited down for a scrimmage. I had never seen Trimble play before and really knew nothing about that school with the exception of the town was basically a wide spot in the road and they couldn't have much as far as a team went. Man was I surprised along with 90% of our team including my son. My son is no small boy and had a few notable accomplishments as a ball player. When we played them he was a senior and he was 6'2" and weighed about 265-270. He lined up across from a kid that was probably 5'10" and 200 soaking wet and I think had been beat up every day of his life by a bigger brother or something because he was tough and played EVERY play like he just caught ya kissing his girlfriend and kicking his dog. My son was fortunate to play a lot of football and lined up across from some very good players and some vey big players. But to this day he will tell you, without a doubt, that left guard from Trimble hit him harder throughout the whole scrimmage than anyone he ever lined up across from.