Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buy twice, cry twice...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So this purchase would qualify as a "buy once, cry once" purchase if it weren't a replacement for the first purchase. The first crossbow was acquired on a little tighter budget and some uncertainty about the future of my hunting endeavors with the girls. Now that Kaydence is hooked and I assume one/both of the other 2 will eventually want to try their hand at hunting, I upped our game a little. Excalibur is a brand I recognize as being reputable and their warranty is a great selling point. I like the simplicity of the design and the compact design, plus the foregrip is a perfect fit for our new tripod. Overall, we'll have a more compact and nimble setup, which means more run-and-gun hunting for us. Kaydence is hooked on hunting them like turkeys now, so we'll do a lot more of that this year.

I'll swap out the scope for a red dot, add a sling and will add some comfort to the stock, but we're back in business!

20230905_105410.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase! (y) I'm also a fan of the simplicity of the design....along with the affordability. :cool:

I have a Ravin R10 and I think it's overkill....both on price and what it's capable of doing. :unsure: I killed a nice doe with it, but it was so uneventful that it'll remain on top of the gun safe until I get injured or can no longer draw a vertical bow. :cautious: If I had it to do over again, Excalibur or Barnett would've been a better choice for functionality and cost. (y)

I don't take anything away from crossbows. They've certainly provided hunting opportunities to people that otherwise wouldn't or couldn't have been out there hunting. 💯(y):cool:

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Nice looking crossbow! I had a Excalibur years ago and it was very easy to take care of…decocking and string changes are very simple. Only reason I got rid of it was the wingspan….it always seemed to reach out and grab branches as you were walking through the woods but with the newer micro series, that’s a thing of the past. Good luck with it…I’m sure it’ll last many many years.👍

Reactions: bowhunter1023

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Bryce is just a bit to young yet for me to be in market but in another couple years- I’ll be picking your brain! Good looking setup, buddy!

Reactions: bowhunter1023
I have a Stryker Offspring which is a collaboration between Stryker and Excalibur companies. The limbs are Stryker but the body is Excalibur. I've taken several deer with it. It came as a package with a Drop Zone adjustable scope and a hand crank cocking aid along with the 2 handed manual cocking aid. Either can be used with the de-cocking feature built into the bow. Very quiet at 360fps. I am considering removing the scope and going with a red/green dot to save about a pound in weight. It's currently 6.5 pounds.