Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Caliber Selection for Coyotes

I may be shopping for a new rifle for coyotes, but I want a caliber that will deliver enough devastation to drop it in its' tracks...even if the hit isn't perfect. :sneaky: I talked to 3 or 4 guys that live in the western states, like Arizona, Wyoming and Montana as to what they use when they're doing extermination work for a rancher. They recommended .270, .308 and any of the 7mm offerings.

6.5x284 is one that comes to mind, but it's difficult to find in a Savage. :rolleyes: I'm open to suggestions for calibers, but prefer it to be in a Savage rifle. :cool:
What are your caliber recommendations? :unsure:

Reactions: Deersurgeon

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I'm in same boat for the next safe addition, and I think 22-250 is where I'm gonna land. A bolt .223 helps keep ammo diversity down, but don't think I need that range. Same to be said for a .243, then it's like well, what's another deer rifle in .270 gonna hurt. It's between 22-250 and .243 for me.

You didn't state your range, I think that's a much needed constant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowhunter57
As far as range, around here it's difficult to get a shot past 300 yards without looking at a house in the next section. However, I do hunt in areas with rolling hills that I don't have to watch the background like I do in this flat as f*** area in Allen County. I swear it's flatter than a road killed squirrel around this section of the state. :rolleyes:

Anyway.... Thinking back, I've owned a nice Savage in .243 and it never disappointed me with the authority to drop a coyote in its' tracks. 🐾☠️ Like all of us, I sold it to make a down payment on a motorcycle and regret it to this day. :cautious: I recently looked at a CVA Cascade, that has a threaded barrel, which is a plus, because my suppressor will fit on it. Also, Bergara purchased CVA a few years back and their barrels are notorious for accuracy. (y)
I may have answered my own question. :unsure:
243 Coyote 3.jpg

Reactions: Hedgelj

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Most important puzzle piece I see missing is if you care about the hide or not . If you don't or sorta do then there is a sweetheart of a deadly savage rifle alot never heard of an is an impressive accurate bolt gun that i have slayed groundhogs with ease set after set in 223 that loves mid weight rounds. If your looking for decimation kills then then the skies the limit but remember added recoil and money on ammo isn't a reason to waste on unless you can use those big calibers elsewhere

Reactions: Bowhunter57

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
One of the very few guns I ever regret selling an kick myself In the ass for to this day. Savage model 25 walking varminter with a thumbhole stock. Little heavy but the gun was almost boring it was so accurate . Great yote gun . I'll post a Pic of a stock version of it . Search gunjoker I found mine at midnight for just over 400 last year. Several options for what you want to do but this little guy keeps nudging me to where I'm looking for another.

1000005248.jpg

Reactions: 5Cent
@ThatBuckeyeGuy
I could care less about the pelts. (n) I want these varmints off of my section of the planet. If I carve a canoe out of them, all the better. I've actually considered my 450 Bushmaster, but the trajectory from 200 to 300 yards, isn't what I'd call "flat enough" to be reliable. 🚫 A threaded barrel is very appealing to me. The suppressor that I built was originally for a .243, but it does well on my .22-250 and 17HMR too. :cool:

You spoke of kicking yourself in the ass....well, I'm in that boat too. :rolleyes: I sold a damn nice Savage Predator in 243 with a night vision setup on it...and it was because I could sell it as a package. The night vision scope and IR light alone would've been difficult to sell. Hind sight is 20/20 and I should've just ate the accessories and kept the rifle. 🤬
Savage 243.jpg

Knelly

I've been running a 6.5 creed for two years now with excellent results using the Hornady & Federal 95gr vmax. Plenty of knock down power and range. A few buddies are also using .243's with the 75gr hornady's with great results also. 22 creedmore is another option, but factory ammo is less than ideal to find unless you load your own.

1000009507.jpg

This 6mm arc has become my favorite coyote and varmint rifle. Its fast, flat shooting and is lightweight. Having a ar 15 reciever vs an ar 10 makes for a smaller and lighter rifle. We do a lot of decoy dog work in the spring, so a semi auto is appreciated with 2-6 coyotes coming into our set. Its a little nasty cartridge with a 106 gr bullet.

Last edited:

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
Coyotes aren't elephants. Anything in center-fire till work for the most part . A 17 hmr does the job at short range. Iim not fussed if they run off, but if you want to be sure at least a 223.

Personally I'd just use whatever deer rifle you already have. I wouldn't spend a dime on a coyote gun unless you're getting paid to do. Cheaper and more effective to run traps if you don't have to worry about nontargets.