Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CVA Optima

Ricer2231

Well the wife and I took off right after I got off work and headed to Buckeye Outdoors to try out some smokepoles. I tried the TC's first and the one that fell into my budget I just didn't like. That was the Impact and I just couldn't get used to the break down mechanism on it. The other TCs were nice just too much coin. The Traditions they had didn't fall into the budget either. So I moved on to the CVAs. I didn't like the Wolf at all. But the Optima was looking like the front runner. Good price, I like the breakdown mechanism right there on the trigger housing, felt great on my shoulder, a good scope, and a good length. It was a little outta the price range at $439.00 but close. The salesman asked if he could wrap it up for me and I told him I needed to think about it a little. As I'm dicking around looking a some wife stuff I decide to check my phone for emails and the like while the wife is asking if some camo is TOO manly and I told her she looks very womanly in any camo. Haha. Anyway I have an email ad from Dunhams so I decide to check it out. Low and behold there is a sale on the Optima V2 camo stock and forearm, stainless barrel which I had decided was a must, Konus Pro 275 3-9x40 scope with ballistic reticle, padded gun sleeve and it was on sale for $339.00! Needless to say I bought the womanly camo for the wife and beat feet for Dunhams. And now I have a new member of the family.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381796187.460511.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

There are plenty of more educated muzzleloader shooters that me...but:

Start with a low charge of powder when you're sighting it in and then build up. Do not exceed what the gun manual says.

Once you get your charge figured out, load and seat a sabot on top and then take your pretty new rod and make a mark with your knife around the rod marking where your seated load should always be.

Get yourself a palm saver for the rod, it's worth it. I have a simple wooden one. Just a rounded piece of scrap 2x4 rounded to fit your palm tapered down to a quarter sized surface with a rod-sized hole drilled in 1/2 inch.

Buy a nice sling - I was carrying mine around Strouds and realized that I ought to have a more weight-distributing strap on my heaviest gun.

And finally, learn how to "swim through the smoke" because it's a friggin hoot to shoot one and not be able to see what you hit because of the smoke!

Big H

Medina
What combination of bullets and powder do you all shoot?

I am shooting an Encore with 3 - 777 pellets and a 295 grain Powerbelt. Probably too much, but everything I shoot at with this gun dies. Usually pretty fast. Oh, and the guys I hunt with all know who shot when I squeeze the trigger. LOL

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am shooting an Encore with 3 - 777 pellets and a 295 grain Powerbelt. Probably too much, but everything I shoot at with this gun dies.

This is what I shot out of my Optima Elite for years. It was TOO much for the wife after I sold her Wolf, so I went to two Triple 7 pellets and a 245 grain Powerbelt. For the Strouds hunt I bought 250 grain Shockwaves die to their popularity around these parts. The load slightly easier than the Powerbelts, although not as much as I was expecting, and I was really happy with how they shot. The real test will be on a deer and I won't find that out for a while yet.

I've always been a Triple 7 pellet guy because they are easy to use. However I may switch to Buckhorn 209 when I do buy a new muzzleloader...

Ricer2231

Has anybody shot the White Hot loads? I have been hearing a lot of good things about that powder.
I never even thought about it, that's like throwing chum in the "Ric Tank". Haha

Last edited:

mightymet

The wife just bought me the CVA Optima V2 yesterday. Ordered the scope and mount from Midway, and will probably use it for shotgun season. It is the camo thumbhole stock with stainless barrel also. I love the feel of it in my hands, and it is very comfortable. I will let Pop use my remington slug gun and I will carry the CVA.

Didn't it come with the scope mount? I couldn't find one with out it.

mightymet

I am using the 295 grain powerbelt bullets with 2 triple 7 50/50 pellets. It did the job on the two deer I shot Saturday.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck with your new ML. I seen this post too late to recommend going smokeless.
If you already have a TC Encore frame then all is necessary is a TC factory 45-70 barrel and a conversion job that cost about 160.00.
Yes a little extra cost at the beginning but the out come is worth it.

Lundy

100 of pyrodex
250gr shockwaves

Every BP rifle I have seen prefers Shockwaves or Hornadys over the Powerbelts.

The above advice will shoot great in 95% of all MZ's, easy as it gets.

You can substitute, T7, or Blackhorn 209 for the Pyrodex and get the same good results.

Use CCI or Winchester 209A primers, DO NOT USE the Kleenbore, my opinion:)

Good luck