Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dantes 2013/14 journal.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If it rains that much I will call ya to get us out with the boat...wait...scratch that. I don't like ejector seats lmao.

Sorry Adam the boats in storage your on your own again lol....

But I may be able too dig up a canoe lol.... But you'll need too provide the paddle..... Otherwise I'd be up the creek without a paddle!!!!!

Yeah that was pretty lame lol

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Slow morning so far.
Wind wsw 7 mph, gusting to about 18
Moon. New will be overhead around mid day
Temp. Low 40
Barometer. 29.79 rising
Overcast light rain.

Nothing going on in the cove this morning. Gonna head further back into the woods this after noon

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Should be quite walking back there with this drizzle. Sit tight back there all day and maybe a soft grunt here and there or some antlers might bring something in. Not going to be able to get out until tomorrow morning so if you need some horns I have that match set from the big 8pt out by my shed if you want to borrow them for today.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
looking back over this journal I realized I forgot to make an entry for last week. i sat the morning on sunday, dont really remeber the conditions but i know it was a quarter moon, somewhere in the lower 40s and mostly sunny. wind was from the west at about 10 mph. I finally saw some deer. 5 does entered the thicket about 6 yards from me to the south. A little while later another one came from in front of me offering a shot. the rest is history. I still wish i could have found her.

this afternoons hunt.

After dickweed came in and started hunting rabbits this morning i went home and reloaded. i was back in the woods within 2 hours.

Wind South west 10 - 15 mph gusting to 25
temp low 40s
moon new
barometer 29.93 rising
rain
Windy wet

After coming home to poop, eat, and get some thicker socks, I realized the 2 dickheads might be doing me a favor. if they are hunting rabbit, they could very well get some deer moving around. i got back out to find they had already left. for some reason I get a gut feeling this was a deliberate attempt to screw up my sit. They had to know i was out there.

I was still not sure where exactly i wanted to sit for the evening so I packed the climber and went on a walk looking for sign. The first thing i noticed is that the scrapes have not been freshened up since the bad weather started. Leads me to believe the rutting activity hasn't really ramped up yet. I made it a point to swing by the new stand and make sure those guys hadn't stolen my camera. it was still there. From there I walked across the northern edge of the property. there is a small low spot that usually holds water just north of where my stand is, the west edge of it is really brushy and I have been considering putting a blind there, as i walked by that area, something busted out of that brush. It had to be a buck judging by the number of rubs around the area, but I couldn't tell which one it was.

I continued west to the property line, cant hunt over there, so i turned back south. i noticed that with the leaves coming off, you can see forever in this area, have to keep that in mind for gun season. the further south I went the more rubs I was noticing. I came to a cool little spot that i ended up setting up in.

There is a circular area about 20 feet across that is nothing but green briar, small saplings, and brush. there were rubs all around it, but no trail through it. the other weird thing about the rubs is they were facing all sorts of different directions. it was like this spot is some sort of hub. i pulled out my phone and brought up google maps to see exactlly where I was on the property. i was on the edge of a drainage that runs across from east to west. I walked around the hub area and realized i was in a spot that i have been wanting to hunt. the guy that was out there hnting rabbits has a stand about 100 yards from here and i kept my distance out of common courtesy. But if he wants to do the shit he has been doing for the last week, screw him. his stand is over a trail to the east of this area facing the other way.

To try and describe this spot. if the deer want to stay in the low area they would have to cross through here, this being the highest spot in the drainage. If they want to stay on the higher ground they would have to come through here as well, This being the lowest spot between 2 "hills". I guess this is as close to a classic saddle as us flat landers will find.

I set up on the south east edge of the area, surprisingly enough I also had decent shooting lanes on all sides. I believe if the deer are moving i should be able to at least see them from here and there is a good chance they might just come in range. Unfortunately tonight just wasn't the night. After getting rained on for the third time and the radar showing more coming. I decided to climb my soggy, shivering ass down and go home for dinner. i just kept thinking to myself " are you stupid or something? Is it really so important to shoot a deer tonight, that you will sit here in the cold rain, possibly making yourself sick?"

I left the climber on the tree and marked my trail out. I should have no problem getting right back in there in the morning. I think this spot will even work for the north wind we are expecting tomorrow.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Way to be persistent Dave. Sounds like a nice spot you found for sure. Good luck tomorrow!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Way to be persistent Dave

that is one word that describes me. If I get frustrated or aggrivated with it, i usually try even harder to kick its ass. Unforunately, there have been times in the past where i should have just let it be. Oh well, I gots to be me.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
AM sit.
Wind, mostly NW occasionally NNE 5 - 10 mph
moon new rise at sunrise set at sunset
temp upper 30s
barometer 30.29 mostly sunny

sat in the spot I was in last night till almost 11:00 saw nothing. Home for some food, head back out in a little while.w

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Change of plan. rather than packing that climber back in there to see nothing and then pack it back out in 4 or 5 hours, I'm gonna cut out the middle man and stay at the house. Drink beer and watch football.

maybe i will try again next weekend, maybe not. We shall see.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
AM sit.
Moon half rising at 12:47 pm overhead around sunset
Temp 36
Wind ssw 10 15 mph gusts to 25
Barometer 30.13 falling
Overcast

Sitting the cove stand this morning. The climber is on the ground below me so I can move back into the woods later.

Saw a big bodied deer run out of the woods about 200 yards north of me about 15 minutes before light. Had to be a buck. He ran out into the field and I lost track of him when he got into some taller, darker cololered weeds. Grunted at him, no response.
About 20 minutes after sunrise a small 6 point was skirting the opposite edge of the cove, nose to thr ground, headed toward the doe bedding area. I think its starting.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Pm sit

Temp 52
Barometer 29.52 still dropping
Moon is rising in about a half hour
Wind varying between sw to nw at 15 - 20 mph. Gusts to 30

Mostly sunny

Moved to basically the same place I was last weekend. A little more west by about 50 yards or so.

The wind isn't as bad here, but this tree is really moving.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Pm sit.
Temp. 42
Moon 1/2
Wind sw 10-20 gusts to 30
Barometer. 30.24 rising

Decided I needed a break from the east property, so I am set up in a blind in the north block of the west property. First serious hunt from the blind, not sure what I think yet. Limited visibility but it's nice being out of the wind.
Lots of gunfire to my south. Sounds like tanerite as well. Thanks dickheads, its only the rut.

Wr shsll see.