Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

December 7, 1941

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
“A date that will live in infamy.”

Exactly what I was going to post when I saw the title. Man how wrong the japs were. 6 months later they got the "find out" part of their "fucked around" at Midway where the US sank 4 of the 6 carriers that participated in Pearl. The Japanese only lost 4 because that's all they brought. It did cost the US the carrier Yorktown, but the USS Enterprise continued to rule the Pacific through the end of the war where she downed over 900 planes and sank over 70 ships.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I only learned a few years ago that Pearl was only part (though by far the largest) of Japan's attack. The same day, but Dec 8 on the calendar because of the international date line, the Japs also attacked the Philippines, Wake, Guam and several British territories. The plan was to knock out all serious competition in their part of the Pacific. There were casualties on all of them and they deserve to be remembered along with those at Pearl.

Blackcat86

NW Ohio
Reactions: Jackalope

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I only learned a few years ago that Pearl was only part (though by far the largest) of Japan's attack. The same day, but Dec 8 on the calendar because of the international date line, the Japs also attacked the Philippines, Wake, Guam and several British territories. The plan was to knock out all serious competition in their part of the Pacific. There were casualties on all of them and they deserve to be remembered along with those at Pearl.

Wow. . I have watched a ton of WWII stuff and never knew this. Thanks.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Wow. . I have watched a ton of WWII stuff and never knew this. Thanks.
The things they don't teach us. In school I learned about Hitler invading Poland and the atrocities that followed. It was many years later I learned Hitler and Stalin had a deal to divide Poland (and give the Baltic states to Russia) and Russia invaded Poland from the east and committed similar atrocities.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The things they don't teach us. In school I learned about Hitler invading Poland and the atrocities that followed. It was many years later I learned Hitler and Stalin had a deal to divide Poland (and give the Baltic states to Russia) and Russia invaded Poland from the east and committed similar atrocities.

Yeah Russia was no angel in early WWII or even after. We didn't trust Stalin. But after operation barbarosa the enemy of my enemy came into play. He'll they didn't give back half of Berlin until 1989 with the fall of the wall.