Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

deer feeders

tpierce

You guys that use feeders, which type do you prefer? I had a Moultrie with the timed feeder. That thing was nothing but trouble, and eventually the coons tore it up. I strapped it to a tree. I'm thinking about getting a a feeder with the the individual drop stations, mounted on tri-pod legs. you know, gravity feed.

What's worked best for you?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have 3 gravity feeders now and have had real nice bucks eating out of them all. The Banks feeder I have is the easiest and most practical for a lot of people. Yes they are expensive, but can be customized to keep the coons out. I put a piece of 10" PVC down over the 4 x 4 post.... On top of the PVC is about 14" of a plastic 55 gallon drum upside down to entrap the coons and keep them out of the tubes. Sounds like a hassle I know, but once constructed, you're good for several days at a time. Coons can only get what is dropped on the ground. I had right around 330. in this set up when finished. A friend built one without the PVC and seems to work fine.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
1596157642671.png

Couple nice ones at the feeder

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Noooo just the better pics I had. I just filled the feeders a couple days ago. I have more current pics but I'm cautious as to what I post online......
Will take a picture of the banks feeder set up and post this weekend.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have an American hunter spin feeder at the house. Squirrels have chewed the top out of it. Coons climb up and spin it draining the feed. It’s an all out war with the coons. We have had some good bucks at it on occasion but not consistent.
Back in the woods we dumped corn on the ground last year and had everything come to it but again the coons are too much. We just bought and put up a Banks gravity feeder last week. Only 3 deer have used it so far but I know of others that have used the same thing with great luck on mature bucks. We don’t sit over the corn until late season in Ohio though.
Our WV spinner feeder just got destroyed by a bear last week.
Here is the Banks feeder set up. I will look into PVC protection from coons.
81AFAA2E-5D49-4114-9919-27F33D177F5F.jpeg
AA226D8E-A276-455E-952F-7CC56DB3C9B0.jpeg

tpierce

I really like that Banks feeder on the single post. Xbowguy, that looks like a very effective set-up to keep the coons at bay. I hope you don't if I copy your idea.

Reactions: xbowguy

Stressless

Keene, OH
went with boss buck gravity feeders a few years ago after years of ass pain and a couple pics of mature bucks coming inside out after getting "zinged" by corn kernels - well the first time a mature buck comes in for corn that's alredy on the ground and gets turned inside out because your timer went off and he gets hit in the nose and or ass by corn being slinged at 50mph -will be the last.

If you set them up right, DO NOT over-pressure or better DO NOT hunt over the feeders the big boys will come in daylight to gravity fed - mostly thou they scent check the area for does in those late Oct - Mid Dec critical times.

Coons still pile in nightly for spilled corn - but walmart brand vasoline 3" up the legs keeps them off. I have two permanent dog-proof traps by each of my three feeders -6 a night for a couple weeks after the season cleans up 2-3 dozen coons or so in a jiffy. After 3 years I have many fewer coons coming in.....

19251.jpeg

PICT0326.JPG

277078804.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0324.JPG
    PICT0324.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited: