Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diablo 2012/2013 trapping.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yea plenty, more and more every year. We hunt them with hounds up here in the flat lands. It seems the numbers go up every year. This year was my first year for trapping canines. I ended up with two yotes and twelve fox for the year. Next year I'm gonna spend more time on the yotes. Its a lot more complicated and time consuming than people think. Congrats on a good year
Thanks.So how exactly do you hunt them with hounds?Do they track them like coons or like i have seen on tv where the dogs draw them in and then you shoot them.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yea its kinda like a huge rabbit hunt. It takes a lot of permission. It usually takes at least 4 guys and we hunt with at least two hounds at a time. Our group usually normally consists of 8 eight guys and up to 12 when the snow is on. As far as hounds we have 9 now. We try to spot them at daylight . And if there's snow we drive and look for tracks, that's when its fun . It takes a lot of guess work out of it. We send in two dogs and depending on how big of sections on how many shooters . Like I said its like a big rabbit hunt. We use GPS tracking collars on the dogs, and two way radios to keep track of the dogs. The chase usually last a few miles, its a lot of fun and a great fellowship with our group.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am pretty sure I have seen you guys out yotehunter. Couple trucks parked on Zerkie between the big woods I was referring to and Kriegel's.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
We usually don't make it that far south that probably a bunch from buckland the Place group. We usually stay north of my place here on 81 I'm at conant and 81 ruffly a 1/8 mile west. We hunt mostly from spencerville north to a little north of ottoville. And are east west boundaries go from ft Jennings to middle point, elgin area . Have yotes and permissions we will travel, lol. There's actually four groups in our area with coyote dogs.