Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ethics question: No wrong answer

What do you do given the scenario in this thread?

• Keep driving and pretend you didn't see it.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Turn around and bludgeon the rabbit out of it's misery.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Turn around and use your CCW to put it out of it's misery.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn around and run it over to finish it off.

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is the scenario: My son and I were driving down the road tonight. I see a rabbit which was obviously hit by a car but suffering. It made it to the edge of the road but was only able to pull with it's front legs a little. Really not moving much but quite clearly struggling and suffering.

My son is 9. He has been hunting with me and has hunted himself as well but yet to draw blood.

What would you do?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Tire iron. Or step on it's head
Not legal to discharge firearm within certain range of road.
Cops told me NOT to shoot a deer I hit when I called them.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I would and have put the rabbit or any animal out of its misery / suffering. A rabbit is pretty easy. Just my 2 cents.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I should admit, the CCW option was put in there as a reminder to us: Not an option.

Last thing I needed was to be seen beating an animal to it's death in a lettered company vehicle.

I could have driven on and he would have never known. What can I say? I am a softie. I turned around. Flop flop. Opened up a discussion with my son about ethics and our obligation to put down a suffering animal. I told him I wasn't feeling "happy" about killing the rabbit but I was thankful I was able to end the rabbit's suffering. I then proceeded to tell my son it is our duty as sportsmen to make good shots and kill animals in the quickest, most humane way possible. Told him I was sad for the rabbit but if it lay there suffering that would be more sad. Told him it could have suffered for hours. . . . blah blah. . . .I don't know. Might have died 30sec later or might have suffered all night.

Long story short- even a drive around the block road scouting for deer can be an opportunity to teach life lessons to your kids. Some of life's lessons aren't fun to teach or talk about but I feel my son needs to be exposed to the good and the bad parts of life.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would and have put the rabbit or any animal out of its misery / suffering. A rabbit is pretty easy. Just my 2 cents.

True. If it were a deer or someone's dog it would have been different for sure. No doubt about it. Still a life lesson to be learned, but different options at that point. Sorry I couldn't give you a tougher choice Jeffie. Just what we happened to see tonight. lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I usually just pick them up and twist the head a time or two... Quick and they're out of their misery.... It was probably in shock and didn't really know what was going on......

But on the road and depending on amount of traffic flop flop is always an option.....

What would you have done if it were a skunk Phil?

Ricer2231

I think you handled the situation perfectly Phil. The animals suffering was quickly ended and an explanation/conversation about the situation was taken up with your son. In my opinion the explanation/conversation was almost, if not as, important as the dispatching of the critter.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
What would you have done if it were a skunk Phil?

It is a good question though... is our obligation only to game animals & pets, or all living critters including skunks?

One more steps beyond that... what if there is a do-gooder behind you that saw the same animal, and is coming back to try and rescue it for rehabilitation? Then you run it over on purpose right in from of them, causing instant PETA rage, that makes them call the local news on you after they write down your plates & follow you home?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Like a few others stated, I would have just ran it over. The right thing to do is kill an animal that is suffering and there are always a few ways to accomplish that. Getting out of the AC and grabbing a stinky rabbit wouldn't be my first choice when I drive a full size truck with meat eaters on it! lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It is a good question though... is our obligation only to game animals & pets, or all living critters including skunks?

One more steps beyond that... what if there is a do-gooder behind you that saw the same animal, and is coming back to try and rescue it for rehabilitation? Then you run it over on purpose right in from of them, causing instant PETA rage, that makes them call the local news on you after they write down your plates & follow you home?

I'd be beating some PETA ass...