Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

favorite call and why

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I gotta say, I expected a little more from the great one.

I should put up an audio of me running a box call. It sounds like a ....wait for it.....turkey. But, not like any other turkey or turkey caller you have ever heard. I have my own technique, too.

:)

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
thanks ross.

Hehe..yeah..I wont win any calling contests..but when im runnin and gunnin and that gobbler is a couple hundred yards away and he hears me coming up the backside of the ridge it absolutely drives him crazy. Like i said..its more of a distance locating technique...its really not for closing the deal. Just the purring and putts on occasion.

Brock..Put it on..i wanna hear it. Any box call is music to my ears.

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Here's a series of cutting with alil purring and 2 yelps. i moved farther back away from the vid cam this time. Im about 50 yards away..if i was 100 yards it would sound even better. and im sure if i was 5 miles from the vid id sound better to most you folks..:) but anyhows.. This is actually a different box call that i use for cutting only.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok, I'll admit mounty... That sounds pretty good, especially coming from a box call. Pass me the crow... :)

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Thanks JB..

Its really effective for runnin and gunning. If there's a gobb in the area, he will hammer away at me..however..it doesnt mean i can get em in close..I still have the same problem everyone else has and thats closing the deal. Its always a battle to no end and rarely easy.

Brock...Thats cuz on the first vid im only 30 feet from the vid..the closer i am the lousier i sound.

Jack..Its one box.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Here's a series of cutting with alil purring and 2 yelps. i moved farther back away from the vid cam this time. Im about 50 yards away..if i was 100 yards it would sound even better. and im sure if i was 5 miles from the vid id sound better to most you folks..:) but anyhows.. This is actually a different box call that i use for cutting only.

The cuts/clucks/purrs sound great, especially for a box but the cadence is an "alarm put."

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
mike...

I try not to space them out to long..Alarm putts are usually spaced out by a few seconds. Putt...2 0r 3 seconds Putt...2 or 3 seconds Putt..2 or 3 seconds..Your right..i dont wanna do that cadence.

mrex

*Supporting member*
mike...

I try not to space them out to long..Alarm putts are usually spaced out by a few seconds. Putt...2 0r 3 seconds Putt...2 or 3 seconds Putt..2 or 3 seconds..Your right..i dont wanna do that cadence.

I see what you're saying, however, a cluck and purr and an alarm put are often indistinguishable. Sometimes I think the only way the turkeys can tell is by body language. I usually only use those sounds when the gobbler is just over the rise and I can scratch leaves with my hand.

I've been asked to judge a lot of calling competitions over the years including our state contest, (sure hope I don't lose anymore of Darron's respect for saying that), and I would score you well in a friction contest.

Phil - here's some good stuff for you to listen to...this is a Georgia hen recorded with an iphone last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38YTSXPbWIg&feature=youtu.be

Kaiser878

ohio
HEre is my take on calling turkeys!! Again, Im no expert, I am quite possibly one of the worst turkey hunters in the world! But.....TUrkeys are like ducks and deer and every other animal....including humans! THey all sound different. I have heard some of the worst callers in the world outcall guys that are awesome callers on live flocks of ducks! I beleive turkeys are the same way....IMO the key is volume and how often you call.... 80+% of callers call to often. I have been hunting with some of the best turkey hunters in my area....and they call very little! THey also kill their two birds every year....Most of the time they are 4+ yo birds too!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
HEre is my take on calling turkeys!! Again, Im no expert, I am quite possibly one of the worst turkey hunters in the world! But.....TUrkeys are like ducks and deer and every other animal....including humans! THey all sound different. I have heard some of the worst callers in the world outcall guys that are awesome callers on live flocks of ducks! I beleive turkeys are the same way....IMO the key is volume and how often you call.... 80+% of callers call to often. I have been hunting with some of the best turkey hunters in my area....and they call very little! THey also kill their two birds every year....Most of the time they are 4+ yo birds too!

Are they they letting the 2yr olds walk?

Kaiser878

ohio
Yes i believe his dad does...as far as my buddy it just seems when he kills a bird its got long sharp spurs.....Although, i know he wont let a two y/o walk by if it comes gobbling in.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can't help but think "trophy hunting" for turkey is just going too far. I'm sorry, but if I am in the mood to shoot the white top off an ugly ol turkey, I ain't checkin it's ID.

Kaiser878

ohio
I can't help but think "trophy hunting" for turkey is just going too far. I'm sorry, but if I am in the mood to shoot the white top off an ugly ol turkey, I ain't checkin it's ID.

hey I didnt say I did it.if people wanna hold out for mature toms....whatever...more power to them... Like I said....Im a terrible turkey hunter....I have a jake killing track record to compete with the best of em. ha