Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

General Question and Answer thread

They don't collect taxes on well water...

I'm afraid its more than than. Its about getting everyone on the goverment tit. My parents built a new house in Licking County last spring. They went though 3 months of red tape before they got perments to drill a well. The Licking County city water is supplied by Columbus. It was finaly deceided that since the house was to be build 800 feet from the city water head that it would be expensive BUT not impractical for my parents to have city water. So they were allowed to opt out of city water. There are eight small farms on the road that my parents live on in; including ours. Why would the County work so hard to extend city water to eight homes? It would tax a decade of water utilty taxes to off set the costs of the water project. Columbus (other large cities as well) is swallowing up small cities and townships by demanding right aways and extending thier utilities.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm afraid its more than than. Its about getting everyone on the goverment tit. My parents built a new house in Licking County last spring. They went though 3 months of red tape before they got perments to drill a well. The Licking County city water is supplied by Columbus. It was finaly deceided that since the house was to be build 800 feet from the city water head that it would be expensive BUT not impractical for my parents to have city water. So they were allowed to opt out of city water. There are eight small farms on the road that my parents live on in; including ours. Why would the County work so hard to extend city water to eight homes? It would tax a decade of water utilty taxes to off set the costs of the water project. Columbus (other large cities as well) is swallowing up small cities and townships by demanding right aways and extending thier utilities.

Because evetually they will annex them into the city and get the income taxes as well.... Our town has been doing it for years.... Oh you want uttilities???? Sure just sign here..... now you're annexed and oh by the way you owe us income tax for the year.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since we are on the subject of wells, I will throw one out. I can't justify the expense of a well on my property (The 65 Project). However, I have some land. I have some equipment. I realize a dozer would be much more effective, but if you are not in a hurry and don't mind spending some money on fuel. . . .Is it even a reality to think you could dig a pond with a backhoe and a couple skid loaders? I am not talking an acre pond. I am talking small. 1/4 to 1/3acre pond. Something big enough for the kids to enjoy, and big enough to pump water out of it to water plants. My buddy had his inground pool dug by a tracked skid loader. Said the guy was done digging in 3-4hrs. We are talking clay and rock soil in TN here. He has a full sized pool that is 8' deep. How about something 20x this size maybe 12' deep? I realize the walls would be steep. I also realize I didn't do the math on exact dimensions so my estimates are probably off on the size comparison to his pool.

Am I just dreaming?

jeremy44230

Medina County
It would take some time for sure compared to using a dozer... I would imagine its possible especially if you have a backhoe, that may make the out right digging possible. Digging down with a skid steer is slow and tough at times.

If you got the equipment, give it a shot! Certainly aren't going to hurt anything by trying with what you got!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you certianly can phil. farmers used to dig ponds with tractors and scraper blades...its all about how much fuel you can afford..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might be worth it to hire a buddy for 4-5hrs with a dozer and then finish it up myself. I have one buddy that has run his dozer for me for $100/hr a couple years ago. He might help me out. It would be worth it even for 10-12hrs really.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Might be worth it to hire a buddy for 4-5hrs with a dozer and then finish it up myself. I have one buddy that has run his dozer for me for $100/hr a couple years ago. He might help me out. It would be worth it even for 10-12hrs really.

I would say that may be the best approach of you can afford a few hundred bucks... Certainly would be faster. What do they rent for? May be cheaper yet.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A 1/4 acre is 100 ft x 100 ft off the top of my head you are talking moving 3000 + cubic yards of dirt. Yes you could do it with a skid steer but I think you'd be better of getting a big excavator in for a day to get a good start.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Don't forget to spend a little time looking over the pile of dirt you dig up. You never know what may turn up.