Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good Morning of Squirrel Hunting with the dog

Jamie is the professional. We are still novices. When I was younger I did a ton of coonhunting, so I understand about how to train a dog as it is essentially the same. Really happy with how Delta has been making progress. She still has a ways to go, but I see progress just about everytime out. It is alot of fun and you don't need a ton of ground to turn a squirrel dog loose compared to a coonhound.

Jamie

Ohio
LOL, I'm certainly not a professional, but I do get to hunt a lot, and that is, imo, the best thing for a hunting dog. The more field time they have the faster they develop and learn. It sure is fun. Why are you using shotguns and not a .22 rifle?

LOL, I'm certainly not a professional, but I do get to hunt a lot, and that is, imo, the best thing for a hunting dog. The more field time they have the faster they develop and learn. It sure is fun. Why are you using shotguns and not a .22 rifle?

Didn't you see the way my son shoots with the shotgun, how bad do you think he would be with the .22. LOL. Actually we were using a .22 but when she was getting started, we had several squirrels that were jumping out or timbering when we got close and they were getting to a den. I was wanting to get a few out to her so we started taking the shotgun. She is progressing along so we will probably switch back.

IMG_8713.jpeg

Good morning. Delta treed 12 times. Got 3. Had 4 that i saw that timbered and got into a hole, another 4 den trees, and she treed a raccoon.

Jamie

Ohio
It's usually tough sledding this time of year. My last hunt of the year was more emblematic of late season squirrel hunting than my next to last hunt. How much longer is PA's season open?

Reactions: Isaacorps
It's usually tough sledding this time of year. My last hunt of the year was more emblematic of late season squirrel hunting than my next to last hunt. How much longer is PA's season open?
It is open till the end of February. Downside is we can't hunt on Sundays here except for a couple in November. I may hit WV next weekend as you can hunt Sunday there. Nice thing for me is my home and our camp in Ohio are both close to WV.

Rough weekend in WV. Hunt about 3 hrs on Saturday and 2 1/2 today. She only treed 3 times between the 2 days. Saw all 3 squirrels. Should have killed 1 but the shooter didn't do his job. LOL. I thought with the warm weather they would be moving more, but they sure didn't seem to be. Never hunted this place before, so not sure how good the squirrel population is.

Jamie

Ohio
At some point in time, decades ago when people actually hunted small game, the seasons were established around breeding cycles to protect the unborn litters. Sows are all pregnant again now, and soon giving birth. Same reason we don’t deer hunt in May. I think.🤓