Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got me

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Might check out the wolf fangs. Thanks for the heads up Zach. Another one I was looking at was called an earth anchor from the snare shop. Only thing I didn't like about them is the bolt is welded on to the anchor.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Here are a couple from the past couple years. We shot 4 younger yote out there a couple years ago. Somebody shot a good size female but I have not seen or heard of the big male being shot out there. The guy that rents from the landowner has said he has seen 3 running together for a few weeks now. They had found a dead deer and that is where I had setup the snares. Checked it Saturday and all that was left of the deer carcass was hair and bones. Thought for sure they had finished it all up and would not be back. Sunday I decided after 4-5 weeks of having snares here and nothing in them I would take them down today. To my surprise I found they had been back and one had been hooked up and sadly got away.

[video]http://s995.photobucket.com/user/redcloud102/media/PICT0079.mp4.html[/video]

http://s995.photobucket.com/user/redcloud102/media/PICT00333.mp4.html

Last edited:

Ricer2231

I used the wolf fangs just as they come and like I said had no problems at all. They are heavy duty and they also sell just the anchors so you can use your own cable to make them heavier if you want. I wouldn't recommend making them any longer than18" though. If ya try to pull them they are a bear to get out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not me just too much extra weight to tote around .

X2

Just more to lug around and with the amount of ground I have to try to cover it would make for a long day of walkin.

Edit:

If I was going to do leg hold traps I would probably use the rebar but with the snares I just use the anchors.

Last edited:
Thanks, makes complete sense. The rebar is all I have right now and I thought of using them for a few snares here and there rather than buying some of the others. Figured I could double stake any sets I did make with the rebar and double stake swivels I have, when and if I ever do get to snare LOL.

Any of you guys using rebar type stakes??

Yes I do
But I can drive the ATV to all my sets , so extra weight is no problem

I use 2' long pieces
As I got that length of pieces given to me
I welded a large nut on the end
I slip a big washer onto the stake
The washer has a hole that I crimp the snare cable to
Or I wire the leghold chain to

I leave the nut and washer just above the ground
That allows the washer to spin on the stake

I never had a stake pulled out by a Yote or Coon

John

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I use 40" of rebar, drive the atv everywhere, and use the winch on the front to pull the stakes. I have no pride...