Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gray Fox Photos Wanted - Ohio Research Project

Hi Everyone,
I'm in search of Gray Fox trail cam pics (must be taken in Ohio).

I'm new to this site so I'm still figuring out how to navigate everything. I'm a member of a very new non-profit organization called Appalachian Wildlife Research Institute (AWRI) in southeastern Ohio. Our board of directors has an extensive background in wildlife research with decades of professional experience. If you check them out online, you may recognize a few faces! Our kick-start project is researching the decline of Ohio's Gray Fox population and we need your help.

If you're one of the lucky few to have caught photos of a gray fox, or even think it MIGHT be one, please reach out to AWRI at: contact-us@appalachian-wri.com, or send me a message through this site. Below is a link to AWRI's facbook post regarding this research if you'd like to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/awriohio/photos/a.331652977450531/333275727288256/?type=3&theater

Happy Trails!

Attachments

• fox.JPG
    fox.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 467

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
All. This was posted this morning and I deleted it until i could validate the group did not promote an anti-hunting, trapping or sportsman agenda.

I researched the board of directors, their past Facebook posts and other organizations they had affiliations with and didn't locate anything suspicious.

Please feel comfortable sharing with Angie your observations.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Welcome Angie. Hope some members can provide some data for your research. There is a wide Ohio coverage within the site membership. I have never seen a Gray in either Erie or Huron county.

Are they mostly prevelant in SE Ohio right now?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Rather funny that this came up because I captured a fox or two on a couple of different trail cameras just over the past few days.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% certain if any of them are GREY or not because they were captured during the dark hours.

Rest assure if I do get any daytime photographs of GREY FOX, I'll be sure send them your way.

DSCF0285.JPG
DSCF0286.JPG
DSCF0287.JPG
WGI_0042.JPG

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd need to do some digging. Most of mine are reds. I did have a pair of grey fox I watched mousing in a field around 2010. I've seen some since. Nothing in several years. I'll echo: How recent do the pics need to be? I have some poor video footage from the tree stand somewhere as well. Also 2010 time frame.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would venture to guess since they're trying to ascertain current population levels they would need a historic baseline to understand if there has been a decline in sightings or an increase. Since I'm sure TOO isn't the only data source any data we can provide will be aggregated with others to paint an overall picture.

Welcome Angie. Hope some members can provide some data for your research. There is a wide Ohio coverage within the site membership. I have never seen a Gray in either Erie or Huron county.

Are they mostly prevelant in SE Ohio right now?

Hi 5Cent! According to ODNR's website they are scattered throughout the state, with a stronger concentration in the Appalachian areas. Map credit ODNR. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm excited to be a part of this project!

Attachments

• Fox map.JPG
    Fox map.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 878
Does it matter how old the pics are? I have one that's a decade old. One and only pic of a grey fox in 13 years of running cams on our farm.

Bowhunter1023, we're collecting all data for a baseline right now. Any photos or videos are helpful!

Here's the data we're hoping to collect with as many photos/videos as possible. If you're able to provide any of this info please send it to me, or to the AWRI email: contact-us@appalachian-wri.com

Your name:
Email:
Address:
Phone:

Sighting date:
County/Township:
GPS Coordinates (if available):
Nearest intersection or address of sighting, and distance from that point to fox:

Also, if you're a trapper and are willing to allow us to collect samples from your specimen PLEASE reach out to Suzie at the AWRI email! That's the hardest data to obtain at this point.

Thank you! :)

I'd need to do some digging. Most of mine are reds. I did have a pair of grey fox I watched mousing in a field around 2010. I've seen some since. Nothing in several years. I'll echo: How recent do the pics need to be? I have some poor video footage from the tree stand somewhere as well. Also 2010 time frame.

Jackalope hit the nail on the head! We're taking any data we can get. Please see my reponse to Bowhunter1023 above for specific information. Thank you, guys!

Reactions: finelyshedded

Floki

None on camera had one in a snare a few years back. Picked it up dropped it a few times. Took the snare off dropped it. Lite up a smoke and watched it run off. Guernsey county. Not sure that helps any other than they are around here.

Reactions: finelyshedded