Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guess the gun season harvest

Lundy

Based solely on the shots heard in my little area of the state my previous guess appears to be high

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Based solely on the shots heard in my little area of the state my previous guess appears to be high

I think with the suck economy has people staying at work more these days instead of taking vacation time off to do it. The nose to the grindstone worker/hunters are staying at work and waiting for the weekend to even bother going out. What you seen yesterday and today will be the average steady number of people out the rest of the week IMO.

I drove by Mohican State Park this morning and noticed more then a few pull-off areas that was open. Kind of suprised me there.

I too noticed there wasn't as many hunters out and about yesterday and seeing the same as I drive around for work today.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

Do I win both showcases if I'm within 100 deer?

lmao absolutely!!

I drove by Mohican State Park this morning and noticed more then a few pull-off areas that was open. Kind of suprised me there.

I too noticed there wasn't as many hunters out and about yesterday and seeing the same as I drive around for work today.

Same for some public areas yesterday near me Adam. Plus today, I drove from Cbus to Cincinnati & back, and can count on 1 hand the amount of orange vests I saw along that stretch of 71. Perhaps more hunters seeing less deer is contributing to less interest in taking the valued time off work too. That translates into fewer hunters taking less deer.

Lundy

Wood Road deer processing in Athens County was packed with deer tonight when we dropped of a doe my son took this afternoon

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard more shots in the last two days (and I didn't hunt today, nor was I outside a lot) than I would hear on a normal weekend day of gun season. In reviewing our county deer harvest for the first day and seeing we are down 45 deer on opening day, i would say there are a lot of people missing deer. Crazy. Cannot believe the number of shots I have heard. Bowhunter57 and his brother hunted my property today. He said he heard a good amount of shots. Saw one deer exit with hunters. I cannot believe all the shots I have heard are from missed deer. Hard to believe our opening day numbers were down so much.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have heard more shots in the last two days (and I didn't hunt today, nor was I outside a lot) than I would hear on a normal weekend day of gun season. In reviewing our county deer harvest for the first day and seeing we are down 45 deer on opening day, i would say there are a lot of people missing deer. Crazy. Cannot believe the number of shots I have heard. Bowhunter57 and his brother hunted my property today. He said he heard a good amount of shots. Saw one deer exit with hunters. I cannot believe all the shots I have heard are from missed deer. Hard to believe our opening day numbers were down so much.

Or they are not tagging some deer, could also be the weekend warriors that just knocked the dust off their guns and are splitting trees with slugs.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My county only harvested 170 deer and three being me and a couple acquaintances. I heard at least 60 shots (most being multiples) throughout the day. Bad shots or taking in account for telecheckk cheats?

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Wood Road deer processing in Athens County was packed with deer tonight when we dropped of a doe my son took this afternoon

My processor in Clinton county had a total of 15 deer brought in for the first two days combined. The crazy thing is we have the same bag limits that you do over in the deer rich area of Athens county.

Last edited:

blemas

Summit County
My dad hunted opening day in Southern Tusc. They have had their land for more than 20 years and this is the first year that he has been skunked on opening day of gun season. He heard very little shooting so either there were not many hunters, too few deer for the hunters in the field or a combination of both.

I will say that I have heard a lot of shooting at daybreak and dusk when I have been in the tree during the weekends from the end of October through the middle of November.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I have a feeling that there a few people that got stuck with an antlerless tag and feel they shouldn't be stuck with it.

someone I work with thought there was still urban zones this year...obviously didn't review the regs before buying tags...was still (somehow) able to purchase an antlerless tag on sunday night...

my dad has been in athens county since saturday and said he has seen 2 deer...his buddy just shot an 8 point this morning...they usually have a few deer hanging by this time during the week

70,103 harvested for the week
85,347 actually harvested...unfortunately