Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guess who just killed their First “State land” deer

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Congrats again, Danno! Well deserved! I'm not sure who was more excited. You or the mob that overtook the truck bed!? 😎
20201017_151158.jpg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Thanks for all the congratulations and well-wishes! Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. Here's the short recap:

For those of you who are newer to the forum and maybe never attended this fall outing, the background is that I've been going to the Strouds event since it started. Each year I've hunted relentlessly, morning and night, sometimes all-day sits, and never brought a deer back to camp. The year when there was an early muzzy season, I had a shot at a doe up the ravine behind the rifle range - pulled the trigger and the primer went off but the powder didn't ignite. Learned a lesson there. So many hunts, so many lessons. But last year I found a good spot, this year figured out how to hunt it. Yeah, I got a deer on Saturday, but what I'm more pleased about is that I saw deer all six days I went out.

I shot this deer at about 20 yards at 7:45am. I heard it hit and was disappointed - instead of hearing that wonderful "thwock" sound of hitting the ribcage, I heard a dull "thud" sound (kinda like when you kick a big cardboard box). Got the pass thru. Looking at the arrow, it had good blood, but no air bubbles and no gut or stink either. So I figured I hit it in the liver, so I went back to camp to cook breakfast, and figured I'd come back to track and recover in about 4 hours. We had a hard time finding blood, and I thought the deer had hooked around and gone downhill, so that's where we searched. Thank goodness my buddy JohnR stayed on the blood, searching patiently, and indicated that the deer crossed the gully and headed uphill, which caused me to search back up in that direction. I was walking back in the direction of the stand, stopped to check where I was on onX Hunt, then turned around and there he was, 10 yards away.

I might soon write up a longer, detailed recount of the week-long hunt and pass along the lessons I learned, but honestly I'm physically and mentally whipped. But suffice it to say I appreciate the guys who enthusiastically volunteered to help track and recover my deer. (it was a long, long pull back to the truck) I will say the following things now so as not to forget:

1) If you don't shoot lighted nocks, you should really consider it. I'll not archery hunt without them again.
2) A game cart is a game-changer. Well worth the investment.
3) Stay at it.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Nice write up Dan! Congrats again on a well earned buck. Hope to make the next outing at paint creek to sample some of the breakfasts you make on the griddle..sure looks tasty from the photos I’ve seen!😂

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree on the cart Dan. I've never pulled one until I latched onto yours.Even my out of shape hungover ass was able to pull it quite a way with some help from @JOHNROHIO getting over logs and that last hill.