Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Habitat consultant reviews

Just curious who has used a habitat consultant for your Ohio property and how it went. What were your goals and outcomes? Was it worth the cost, would you recommend who you used?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
@at1010

I have not done this, but do contemplate it from time to time. What I need more than anything is a consulting forester. I feel I have a good handle on what needs done where, with the "woods" being the part where I need help. Probably not a 2023 thing, but certainly in the next 2-3 years, it will happen.

Reactions: at1010 and "J"

LonewolfNopack

The woods
What county is your property in? You can check out ohioresourceconnection.com for an active list of registered contractors in your area, both forestry and wildlife. Also can check your county soil and water office to see if they have a contractor list, but its often not up to date. There is shortage of qualified contractors in this field of work and most of the good ones are overloaded, so it could be a bit of a challenge.

I have met Erich and he seemed to be a great guy. I’m a big fan of his incorporation of conservation into whatever the project is. THe DLW webpage seems dated

While I play on these forums, as well as some podcasts and YouTube; I’m not really on social media like FB, etc to know who the gets the Ohio fanfare with regard to deer habitat improvment (consulting) knods. I have been looking into Whitetail Habitat Solutions and Whetstone Habitat but had reached out to others. The goal is simply to make this the best buck trap it can be and do so with a conservation spin for the greater good of all flora and fauna as a secondary desire.

This is in Athens Co. LonewolfNopack. I’m very curious on the incentives programs offered. There is a ton of Honeysuckle on there that I wouldn’t mind replacing with a non invasive.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yep - I am friends with Erich. If you want to have a consultant who focuses on deer habitat and not just a hunting layout - erich is the guy. From deer densities studies to understanding doe harvest.

I’m not sure who else is a “known” consultant in Ohio. It doesn’t seem like Ohioans use consultants like other states do - idk why.

again - a good friend - but Habitat podcast is a great resource to listen to podcast all about farm layouts. Jared also has a team of guys that do consults for folks.

I personally love the equip contracts, invasive removal and working with my state and consulting forester.

hope this helps.

Reactions: Stressless and gjs4
That’s great feedback. Will keep you posted on if/when I hear back from him.

It is challenging to balance between the known deer guys, the lesser known and the habitat guys. I feel there are some snake oil sales folks, some talented and a bunch in the middle that may also have a niche. It’s fricken hard as a consumer. It’s also hard being a landowner who fancies themselves as knowing a bunch and checking my pride at the door for a second opinion or better opinion.

It sounds like there is a 1-3yr setup on actually getting enrolled in EQUIP and some delay with tax breaks too….which is a bummer. Will get a plan in place and chip away as much as I can in the meanwhile.

Reactions: LonewolfNopack

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That’s great feedback. Will keep you posted on if/when I hear back from him.

It is challenging to balance between the known deer guys, the lesser known and the habitat guys. I feel there are some snake oil sales folks, some talented and a bunch in the middle that may also have a niche. It’s fricken hard as a consumer. It’s also hard being a landowner who fancies themselves as knowing a bunch and checking my pride at the door for a second opinion or better opinion.

It sounds like there is a 1-3yr setup on actually getting enrolled in EQUIP and some delay with tax breaks too….which is a bummer. Will get a plan in place and chip away as much as I can in the meanwhile.
I absolutely believe this to be true. You need to ask yourself “what am I passionate about”.

For myself - it’s deer management and wildlife management. This means understanding deer densities, browse pressures, fetal measurements on late season doe harvests, browse surveys, etc. This often means setting goals for doe harvest, increasing plantable food, and letting deer get age on them. I also have several acres in different equip programs and I will add more.

this is greatly different (imo) than setting up a property just for deer hunting.

let us know how it goes.

Reactions: gjs4