Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hoyts 2011 Hunting Log

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Haven't been able to get on the site even though I have wanted too. Just so dang busy. Hunted the past two evenings, been beautiful and have been seeing deer. Both nights I have seen deer right at last light and they are skirting me about 60 -70 yards on the other side of the pond at docs. It should only be a matter of time till they finally come to the south side of the pond and when they do its lights out. Also found 3-4 nice rubs about 40 yards behind my stand. It is still just so thick back in there.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Sorry for the delay Huck. Today is also Homecoming for Austin and it has been crazy. I am logged in from a friends house right now to be able to check in. I will give a full update tomorrow with pics. All in all it has been a really long and good day that probably wont end till 2 or 3 Sunday morning.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well things have finally slowed down enough that I can catch back up and get this thread updated. Got to go out yesterday morning. Went to the ridge and was unsure of what I was going to see, beings the moon was out and bright for a good part of the night and with all the high winds I thought movement was going to be some what limited. Well It was a very inactive morn for the most part. I wasn't even seeing squirrels moving around. All of a sudden from the west came two deer, a medium sized doe and a button buck. They came in pretty fast and where definitely on high alert. They where only about 20 yards but I didn't have any shot due to limbs. It looked as if they where going to move to give me a shot but all of a sudden the doe looked east down the path, tail went up and they both boogered out heading over the ridge to the north. I figured there was something coming up the path so I started watching that direction. Not seeing anything after a couple of minutes I look back to the west and there was a spike and a small doe standing in the same area that the other two had come from. The doe started moving and the spike let her get about 20 yards in front of her and then started to push her all over the place. He pushed her east down over the ridge and I figured they where both gone as fast as they showed up. All of a sudden her comes this doe back up the hill right behind me and gives me a ten yard shot. I figure I need some fresh venison for the freezer and some brats to take with me down to sand ridge. Put one through her and she circles around and stands the exact opposite side of the tree at ten yards. As she is standing there I can see blood on the ground coming from the exit wound. The entrance wound was a little on the high side and after a minute I saw some blood coming from there. I just kept waiting for her to drop but it wasn't happening. I figured better to be safe than sorry and I nocked another arrow. She moved around and gave me a shot on from the other direction and I put another one through her. This time she took of went about 50 yards smacked up against a big tree and she was out for the count. Definitely not the biggest deer I have ever harvested but there is one down for the year.

Had a nice surprise, after sending out some text to let some good TOOsers know I get a phone call from Gern. Her is down visiting my neck of the woods and isn't but 5 minutes away. He came over and gave me a hand getting her into my trunk and shooting the bull for a little while. He even talked me into a different setup for the ridge.

IMG_0869.JPG

Deer - 11
Bucks - 5
Does - 5
Unknown - 1

Coyotes - 1
Groundhogs - 1

Shots Taken - 3
Hits - 2

Harvest
Doe - 1
Buck - 0

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice job Steve! Gern is a good dude. Doesn't surprise me. Now I realize what the "STD" text meant. Just figured you sent it to the wrong person. hahaha I didn't reply because I didn't want to know about your STD's or VD's or whatever they call them now. rotflmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nice job Steve! Gern is a good dude. Doesn't surprise me. Now I realize what the "STD" text meant. Just figured you sent it to the wrong person. hahaha I didn't reply because I didn't want to know about your STD's or VD's or whatever they call them now. rotflmao

HAHAHA

I got the text about STD and I texted him back " Sorry to hear about your STD. I hope the Dr has something for it " lmao Hoyt texted me back a little later telling me what the STD stood for lol.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well it has been a little while since I have been able to log on and update. With the trek down south this past weekend and work really picking up it has been tuff to say the least.

Friday afternoon I arrived at Sandridge outfitters and got things ready for the weekend festivities as everyone else rolled in. Friday night I nestled into a stand at paradise. Liking what I was seeing in the landscape and the stand location I had high expectations for the evening. About 30 minutes into the hunt I had a unexpected interruption.
IMG_0979.JPG
This dude did laps through this field for a good 10 minutes. Needless to say I didn't see anything the rest of the evening, but it was still a great sit, enjoying country that I just don't get to see where I normally hunt.
IMG_0984.JPGIMG_0983.JPGIMG_0982.JPGIMG_0980.JPGIMG_0981.JPG

Friday evening after the hunt consisted of alot of great food and beer around the fire. Got to meet a few more people and put some faces with some names.
IMG_0986.JPGIMG_0988.JPG

Saturday morning I was back into paradise. Saw a total of 6 deer. 2 bucks and 4 does. All the does seemed a bit on the skid-dish side and the bucks where just mossing through. Both where younger bucks and still needed a few years before thinking of shooting them.

Evening hunt it was a time for a change in scenery. Went out to the farm and hunted a small food plot on the north end of the farm on a ridge. Was a beautiful sit with a small spike making his way into ten yards at last shooting light. Didn't want to burn my buck tag on that.

Sat. night found us all at the Flutemans Bar & Grill with more food than we all could eat and plenty of beer.

A huge thanks goes out to Jesse and Tracie for opening up their house and hosting. It will never be forgotten. I just hope that some day I can somehow repay the favor.

Deer - 18
Bucks - 8
Does - 9
Unknown - 1

Coyotes - 1
Groundhogs - 1

Shots Taken - 3
Hits - 2

Harvest
Doe - 1
Buck - 0

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well Today was a rather eventful day to say the least. And it all started off with a great morning hunt. I met up with Huck at Wal-Mart and took him to "The Ridge" in hopes of getting him to close the deal. It was an absolutely picture perfect morning. Clear skies, almost zero wind and a good heavy frost. It started kinda slow for the first hour of hunting then someone flipped the switch. Over the next 2 hours we had 12 different deer sighted from the stand. 1 Buck, 1 button buck and 10 doe. 1 Of which is taking a good long nap, but you will have to read about the details of that in another thread. Lol.

Deer - 30
Bucks - 9
Does - 19
Button Bucks - 1
Unknown - 1

Coyotes - 1
Groundhogs - 1

Shots Taken - 3
Hits - 2

Harvest
Doe - 1
Buck - 0