Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I Knew Somthing…

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
IMG_5284.jpeg

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Not me, but I can take partial credit for putting my son in the right place, at the right time... :)

After a couple close calls on Sunday (each could be a story in and of itself) we jumped into a newish spot and hung our stands for the afternoon. The plan was simply to hunt the afternoon, return in the morning, then pull the stands and head home Monday afternoon. Late in the afternoon Sunday, two does came passed my son. As they moved from the open woods into "the thick stuff" he lost the opportunity on a nice doe. Suddenly, a buck came into view just as quickly, stopping broadside for a moment just long enough for Caleb to find the deer in the scope and squeeze the trigger.

As muzzleloaders do, the smoke blocked the initial hit for a second after the shot, but the deer lunged as if it was hit, then sprinted off. I was 150 yards further up the ridge so I grabbed my gun to watch for running deer. A few seconds later my son's text came through and I was climbing down to go meet him. He sounded confident so we approached the point of impact where we found bright-red blood with some lung fragments. One drop turned into more, then some pretty good pooling which gave me the confidence in a dead deer. Then just as fast the blood started tapering off to smaller drops and then the last pinhead droplet.

It was dark at this point so as much as I hated to, I told him we needed to backout and go back to the truck a different way. Just in case the deer wasn't dead, we didn't want to bump it. It was going to be cold that night, the deer was hit good. It likely is dead or bedded nearby. Let's go get dinner, get to bed and come back in the morning to hunt. So that's what we did.

The plan was to hunt the first few hours, then our buddy Frank would come meet us and we'd search for the deer. As it turned out, Frank spotted the dead deer on his walk to where we were hunting. It had fallen dead about 40 yards after the last droplet of blood. We looked over the area to find more blood, but there was only two other spots, just near where the buck collapsed.

Here's a link to the pics... the files are TOO big to upload. https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB9Fvv