Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2018-19

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
Finally made it out this afternoon and had a great sit. I got on stand at 1:30 and saw 6 deer within the first hour. Had a 9pt and 6 pt bump some does off their beds as soon as I sat down. Second rut definitely was in effect this evening... checking, chasing, grunting, one brief fight. Saw 14 total, 4 different bucks but unfortunately not the one I’ve been after....as I’ve seen before “all the fun and no mess”.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Finally made it out this afternoon and had a great sit. I got on stand at 1:30 and saw 6 deer within the first hour. Had a 9pt and 6 pt bump some does off their beds as soon as I sat down. Second rut definitely was in effect this evening... checking, chasing, grunting, one brief fight. Saw 14 total, 4 different bucks but unfortunately not the one I’ve been after....as I’ve seen before “all the fun and no mess”.

That’s pretty good for post gun season... Congrats...

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Sat and watched some snow where I killed my buck in 2016. First sit there this year. No deer seen where I sat tonight but they’re all over that place. Hunting somewhere tomorrow but not sure where yet.
F4944DDB-B886-4A1C-8DE8-244A0E44957E.jpeg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
19* with virtually no North wind.
2018-12-07 07.47.23.jpg

Nothing but squirrels at the moment.

So this went on in front my 'Eastern Stand' yesterday.
Midmorning and a parade of antlerless Whitetailed Deer.

I have several other trailcam videos of them.

They ended up sticking around for about a half an hour or so.

The actual buck didn't show up though until quitting time.

He's a decent one...

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I went out this morning and came close to my big late season doe from the ground in the snow. I was sitting at the base of a tree watching where two fields, a tree line and the woods meet. Looked behind the tree and saw a big doe. Tried to reposition and saw another, then another. It looked like they were going to head the wrong way so I got on the other side of the tree and tried to get in position for a 30 yard shot at the big one. Well there was a fourth doe I didn’t see. She saw me moving and they all four took off. Lots of fun, no mess.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
19* with virtually no North wind.
View attachment 69371
Nothing but squirrels at the moment.

So this went on in front my 'Eastern Stand' yesterday.
Midmorning and a parade of antlerless Whitetailed Deer.

I have several other trailcam videos of them.

They ended up sticking around for about a half an hour or so.

The actual buck didn't show up though until quitting time.

He's a decent one...

Skunked this morning fellas!

I got down @10:30 a.m. & headed home through the woods and I still didn't see any deer.

I need to get some things done this afternoon, but I'll try to get back out for an evening hunt later, most likely @the same stand.

Below are the other captured trailcam videos from yesterday at my 'Easton Stand' location, which includes 2 through 4 of that same parade of antlerless Whitetailed Deer that I posted earlier this morning, along with that buck that I mentioned. He showed up much later in the day, right about quitting time.
I installed that particular trail camera on the evening of the 5th.

There are five others that I installed on the same day at other locations.

I'm a little bit anxious to find out just what bucks are still in the area.

I'll be pulling SD cards just before I climb a tree for that morning over the course of week or so.

I'll share anything significant.

Later on crew!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Denny, hunting mornings during late season doesn't have a negative effect on the deer in your area?

I think it kinda depends basically...

If the conditions are wet, soft ground, right wind and I'm up & at it anyways,

you can bet that I'll be getting in a morning hunt somewhere.

Today,

everything was definitely frozen no doubt,

but I was up early anyhow.

I choose this particular stand location this morning cause it's fairly easy for me to get to it and the wind was right for it.

Just so you know, I've always been a morning kind of a guy.

It's the most peace time of my day for me hands down and always has been!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I think it kinda depends basically...

If the conditions are wet, soft ground, right wind and I'm up & at it anyways,

you can bet that I'll be getting in a morning hunt somewhere.

Today,

everything was definitely frozen no doubt,

but I was up early anyhow.

I choose this particular stand location this morning cause it's fairly easy for me to get to it and the wind was right for it.

Just so you know, I've always been a morning kind of a guy.

It's the most peace time of my day for me hands down and always has been!
I tend to stick to afternoons only during the late season because the deer are back on a bed to feed pattern much like early season. Ain't no sense in going in at dark just to spook a buck that's on his way back to bed before it gets light out.

Jal5

Cold as heck this afternoon and a good light snow cover. Just no deer.

I need a new spot.

Joe

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I tend to stick to afternoons only during the late season because the deer are back on a bed to feed pattern much like early season. Ain't no sense in going in at dark just to spook a buck that's on his way back to bed before it gets light out.

Like you , Except during rut I find morning hunts to be to high of a risk. Ya just bump too many deer most of the time going in .

Now , I'm sure certain situations call for , and allow morning hunts outside the rut . But they are a case by case basis . Generally tho early , and late season hunting when deer are on a food to bed or bed to food pattern evening hunts are the best option . But you still have to plan for how to exit your stand without bumping deer .

Reactions: Bigslam51

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
F me!!!!! Something scared deer out of the bedding area and there was a stampede! But instead of coming to the back of my property, they ran to the woods on the other side of my neighbors house. There were at least 20!....and they took all of the deer that were in front of me with them!

Reactions: Concordmeadowsfarm

rooster85

Lake County
F me!!!!! Something scared deer out of the bedding area and there was a stampede! But instead of coming to the back of my property, they ran to the woods on the other side of my neighbors house. There were at least 20!....and they took all of the deer that were in front of me with them!

They’ll come back!