Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Till Food Plots - So Easy

at1010

*Supporting Member*
IMG_5719.png

Very late season or post season and checkin on your deer weights is critical. We are happy to see that our does are looking healthy. These does will produce top quality healthy fawns in good habitat and they’ll have plenty to eat!!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That's a BIG doe! You sure you aren't raising beef!
Hahahaha!!

I am trying to increase weights - I ain’t sure what the ceiling on the farm is! But we continue to see weights increase. We have not yet seen a decrease in deer either. Actually we doubled our doe harvest this year - hopefully we have stronger healthier fawns.

Reactions: JARHEAD

at1010

*Supporting Member*
IMG_5832.jpeg
IMG_5834.jpeg
IMG_5835.jpeg
The sun has set on another Ohio deer season. This season was honestly one for the record books for us.

We are very happy to see our deer are still finding plenty to eat in the Carbon Load food-plots. The deer weights appear to be extremely healthy and of course we have a few bucks in mind that we look forward to seeing in fall 2024.

Just a great time of year to reflect on our blessings that we get to live in the greatest country in the world, farm, garden, hunt and share it all with our friends and families.

Be safe and enjoy this habitat season.

We will be planting soon!!

Reactions: Stressless

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I just finished this book - great book!

As much as I learn about soils - the more I realize the infinite areas to continue my learning.

I often recommend (to those interested) to find as eclectic a sourcing of information as possible. As you do this you’ll find the intersections of process,procedure and data that best work for you and your farm.

It’s ok to not understand it all. To pause and look up a term or simply skip a chapter here and there if it doesn’t appeal to you.

My suggestion to you all is just don’t ever stop questioning. Science and scientific discovery is only as good as the questions we ask and complacency will not progress our knowledge in soil health, ruminant health, carbon sequestration, nutrient density and so much more.

Enjoy it yall! Spring is on the way!!

IMG_5850.jpeg

Stressless

Keene, OH
Albert, whats your take on Rye vs Triticale for a annual over winter grain cover crop.

- Primary goal is late Oct-Dec fodder
- Secondaries
-- awnless i.e., palatable seed head in the spring
-- extend the browse longer into the spring, past initial greenup and rye bolt where it becomes unpalatable.

I've read the triticale retains some of the allopathic property's of rye and also holds a root complex that will build soil, aide water infiltration etc. The cost is somewhat higher but for a palatable carbohydrate load late spring early summer and it seems an alternative or additional grain to add to to a mix but I have no first hand knowledge of it in TOO food plots.

Thanks in advance for any advice from the soil Dr.

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Albert, whats your take on Rye vs Triticale for a annual over winter grain cover crop.

- Primary goal is late Oct-Dec fodder
- Secondaries
-- awnless i.e., palatable seed head in the spring
-- extend the browse longer into the spring, past initial greenup and rye bolt where it becomes unpalatable.

I've read the triticale retains some of the allopathic property's of rye and also holds a root complex that will build soil, aide water infiltration etc. The cost is somewhat higher but for a palatable carbohydrate load late spring early summer and it seems an alternative or additional grain to add to to a mix but I have no first hand knowledge of it in TOO food plots.

Thanks in advance for any advice from the soil Dr.
I use both in our carbon load. Why?
slightky different root structure
I’m sure the exudates are slightly variable - stimulating different biology
Different cold hardiness and weed suppression thereafter
Different maturity rates after winter - allowing for variability in carbon to nitrogen ratios of the decaying plants/mat thereafter.
different deer tendencies -I’ve had guys plant monocultures of triticale then my carbon load. They call and say “I’ve never had the deer smash it like that before”. I suspect it’s something biological that allows for the triticale to become more palatable.

so my take is - use both!

Reactions: Stressless

at1010

*Supporting Member*
As much as we preach soil testing - sometimes it’s good to just play in the soil. Stick a shovel in and see what’s happening.

This is far from the best soil on the farm but it sure is coming along absolutely beautifully!

Soil is covered
Variety of roots from the carbon load
Greens still photosynthesizing
Worms till for us
Soils is aggregated
Color is darkening and becoming more rich
Etc.

Healthy soils, make healthy plants, that feed healthy animals and people.

IMG_5901.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
IMG_5937.jpeg
IMG_5936.jpeg
IMG_5935.jpeg
4 years in the Vitalize 1-2 system (I was using it on my farm before we formed company) on a rocky top, logging deck in the foothills of Appalachia. This fields never had any amendments other than lime.

When I first started writing blogs - many would tell me “that won’t work”

When @slayton_arrowslanger and I formed Vitalize Seed - we heard so many reasons why it won’t work - all have since been disproven.

We continued to work hard towards maximizing our testing, mixes, consulting with growers, putting out a product and system we know will work to create better soils. We’ve now had success from Maine to Texas and growing.

For those who’ve supported us from day 1 we appreciate you. For those interested in feeding a ton of soil and wildlife - give us a call.

If you’re interested in soil health and conservation- just dive in. There will always be 1000 reasons not to do something - pictured above is your reason to try! For if not trying - what is anything worth anyways?

Thanks all!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Little more details on our recent post - thanks to all for allowing us to share are passions with you!