Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkeys - Spring 24

Isaacorps

Columbus
I made the 2 hour drive to my buddy’s place in Lawrence county at 0545 and was in the woods by 0600. They started gobbling on the roost a few minutes later. There were at least 3 solo birds and a group of jakes. I gave a few soft calls to the closest one and he hammered back. I went in the woods about 30 yds and set up above the point where he was roosted overlooking a holler. We played back and forth for a while he was still on the roost. He went quiet and I assumed he had flown down. Sure enough, a few minutes later I heard him across the holler and to my right so I figured he got with a hen. Meanwhile I hear something to my left and 2 does worked to within 20 yds of me and had me pinned down lol. They worked off and I got up and moved about 50 yds down the path towards where he had moved and called. He hammered back along with all of the jakes. The trees were shaking! As soon as they gobbled a hen started yelping and cutting so I gave it right back to her. Well that got her good and pissed off and we went back and forth for probably 10 minutes. All the while the jakes and Tom were gobbling intermittently. After a few minutes they went silent so I decided to wait them out. That was at 0720. I don’t hear anything else until he gobbled at 0740 and he was on my side of the holler to my left with the jakes. As soon as he did the hen started yelping and I cut her off with some cuts and yelps. They had done a big semicircle to get back to me. She was coming to kick my ass and he was coming with her 😅. About that time I caught a glimpse of him coming down the hill to my left in full strut and he disappeared into the bottom. Then I hear her yelping below me CLOSE. She pops out and walks straight up to me within 3 yds. At this point he was coming right behind her and I saw him again. She kept walking back in forth in front of me and I was afraid I wouldn’t get a shot cuz she was between us. She finally stepped out of the way and he came out at 20 yds in front of me and I let him have it. She was only 5 yds from me when I shot. He flopped a couple times and that was it. It was all over by 0748. I couldn’t have scripted it any better!

Wiley E Coyote

I made the 2 hour drive to my buddy’s place in Lawrence county at 0545 and was in the woods by 0600. They started gobbling on the roost a few minutes later. There were at least 3 solo birds and a group of jakes. I gave a few soft calls to the closest one and he hammered back. I went in the woods about 30 yds and set up above the point where he was roosted overlooking a holler. We played back and forth for a while he was still on the roost. He went quiet and I assumed he had flown down. Sure enough, a few minutes later I heard him across the holler and to my right so I figured he got with a hen. Meanwhile I hear something to my left and 2 does worked to within 20 yds of me and had me pinned down lol. They worked off and I got up and moved about 50 yds down the path towards where he had moved and called. He hammered back along with all of the jakes. The trees were shaking! As soon as they gobbled a hen started yelping and cutting so I gave it right back to her. Well that got her good and pissed off and we went back and forth for probably 10 minutes. All the while the jakes and Tom were gobbling intermittently. After a few minutes they went silent so I decided to wait them out. That was at 0720. I don’t hear anything else until he gobbled at 0740 and he was on my side of the holler to my left with the jakes. As soon as he did the hen started yelping and I cut her off with some cuts and yelps. They had done a big semicircle to get back to me. She was coming to kick my ass and he was coming with her 😅. About that time I caught a glimpse of him coming down the hill to my left in full strut and he disappeared into the bottom. Then I hear her yelping below me CLOSE. She pops out and walks straight up to me within 3 yds. At this point he was coming right behind her and I saw him again. She kept walking back in forth in front of me and I was afraid I wouldn’t get a shot cuz she was between us. She finally stepped out of the way and he came out at 20 yds in front of me and I let him have it. She was only 5 yds from me when I shot. He flopped a couple times and that was it. It was all over by 0748. I couldn’t have scripted it any better!
Great job and great hunt! Those are the type of mornings that make spring Turkey hunting so special for me. Congratulations 🦃

Reactions: Isaacorps

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm set up on a bird that has turned personal. Last year he did the same exact thing 3-4 times. But I killed a bird and forgot it. 5 sits now he has done the exact thing. He borders the creek and will not come over! I'm now in a blind on his turf and he should be perched about 70-80 yds just ahead. Got in at 5:15 and now we wait for his stubborn ass. 🦃
Good Luck If Yer Out!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
IMG_0192.jpeg
Mason hunted this WMA in Kentucky last weekend. They were in em all day. Haven’t heard a bird yet. Haven’t seen a tree fit for a bird to roost in yet. 😁. But they are here somewhere.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I’m out with a buddy that’s never killed a bird. Primo property that has plenty of birds, but rain all night and heavy fog this AM has them tight lipped. Hunting over a wide open field with shit cover, running a couple decoys which isn’t typically my style but with the terrain features and my lack of knowledge of where they roost I feel they may be necessary. Hoping the fog will burn off and they’ll get mouthy so we can make a move. Good luck to anyone else out.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Had a Jake pitch down 50 yards in front of us in the field, didn’t care about the decoys and went about his business. Coaxed another pair of jakes 200 yards or so across the field but they both got nervous around 40 yards and also went about their business and wandered off. One of the jakes gobbled once, and that was it for us. I’m happy I killed my bird so I don’t feel the need to get up at 4:30 everyday to chase the dumb things 😂

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Redemption! All hell broke loose today. I pissed off the boss hen and she gave me a scolding which brought in a herd of turkeys! 8 gobblers ran out and I got so shook up, I missed! (8 were darting around like a pinball game). Then a large Jake came running out of the weeds at the wrong time....
View attachment 194137
Toms must like to watch a good cat fight too. 😆